Overclocking X2 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyezahn

Beta member
I have all the components now in hand and will be building a new system later this week. I'd like to 'slightly' overclock the system, 2.4 Ghz to be exact. From all the research I've done, this seems to be easily attainable with stock cooling, and is plenty of performance for me. Since I already know that this overclock is absolutely stable, what's the easiest way to get it done. I'm not interested in testing to see how far I can take it, I just want to make the fewest adjustments needed. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Move the FSB up to 210 then 220 and up. If it becomes unstable move the voltage up to 1.5v. Leave it the same if there are no problems.

Move the FSB up to 210 then 220 and up. If it becomes unstable move the voltage up to 1.5v. Leave it the same if there are no problems.
lol it's a bit more complicated than that, he needs to lower his LDT ratio to 4x and use 166 memory divider...I suggest you read our AMD64 overclocking sticky as it goes into good detail how to overclock K8s

overclocking ->

gaara said:
lol it's a bit more complicated than that, he needs to lower his LDT ratio to 4x and use 166 memory divider...I suggest you read our AMD64 overclocking sticky as it goes into good detail how to overclock K8s

overclocking ->

Ok, I read a little more as suggested, as well as doing some additional reading on the subject, and now I have a couple of more specific questions.

According to one review I read, this works:

Leaving Multiplier at 10
Change LDT to 3X
HTT to 240
Vcore to 1.3375

Here's what he says further about these changes:

"When the memory clock is set to the proper divider for DDR333 operation and the HyperTransport clock is raised to 240MHz, the memory actually runs at 400MHz even. Lock down the PCI and PCI-E bus speeds using the motherboard's BIOS, and you're running virtually everything but the CPU and HyperTransport link at stock speeds. I was able to leave the RAM timings at 2-2-2-5, nice and tight. This is the sort of overclock I could live with for everyday use."

Is this true? This would work for me...I don't have any interest in conquering the extreme...I'd be happy with this moderate bump in performance.

Since this overclock method seems to be on the lower end of the tolerance scale for what my components should handle, if I made these exact changes, would I net the same results?

I'm mostly confused about ram timings. The way I understand it, LDT * HTT should not exceed 1000, which means 4x is within reach in this instance....so why did he only go 3X? Maybe going 4X requires looser timings, offsetting any possible gains? I don't know....I'm reaching here....as I said, I don't thoroughly understand the true application/consequences.

most mobos will automatically switch the HTT Down to 3x once past 250HTT/FSB

that would not work what he tells you, cause you guys have 2 totally different systems; 2GBs will defintely not be able to do 240mhz most likely, and your cpu may be a different stepping and week.

Just go slowly 5mhz increments, prime it, if not stable raise the VCORE, if not stable everything comes down to your ram, either loosen the timings or run some more voltage into them, repeat process. Once your ram starts to stop going any further run the memory dividers and tighten the timings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom