Faulty Processor..... Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wylder

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone.

About 6 months ago, I had a problem with random reboots/crashes/lockups on my computer. The problem seemed to manifest itself as a RAM error, when I tested it with memtest. Yet when I swapped in some RAM that I KNEW was good, the problem persisted.

Anyway, after several reformats, I deduced the problem wasnt software related. One by one, I swapped out all of the hardware components until I finally determined that the processor had died.

So... a new processor, and everything was fine!

Fast forward to 6 months later. The computer has started acting up again. The RAM tests as faulty, but swapping in a new stick of RAM that I have confirmed as good in another machine doesnt fix the problem.

So, Im assuming the problem is the same as last time.... right?

Assuming that it IS the processor again, what could be causing the processors to get damaged? Am I just unlucky?

The computer has been upgraded several times, to the point that none of the original parts remain in the machine except the case and the power supply. Can the old crap power supply actually be damaging the processors that are in the machine?

At this point, Im looking at replacing the processor and the power supply, but I would love some confirmation either way on wether I am doing the right thing or not.

Thoughts?

if it really is the processor.. probably a faulty unstable power supply is frying it. you should stress test the processor using a dos tool first however.. ultimate boot cd has a few.

Ah yeah... Multimeter. Embarassed to admit that I hadnt even thought of that.

I actually dont own one, but maybe the guys at my local computer store will let me use one real quick.

What sort of thing should I be looking for? (I mean other than that it puts out 12v). Wouldnt damage be caused by random surges and such?

Talking about the PSU reminded me of something. Sometimes when I plug in the power cable into the computer, it makes a kind of crackling sound... like its sparking between the connectors. This is bad right?

Don't replace the CPU until you know its bad..

I learned a hard lession in diagnosing a PC problem.

Bout 3 months ago my computer would freeze randomly. So i replaced Video card, RAM and Power supply. before I found out it was actualy overheating. So I just bought a larger case and added more fans.
2 120MM's at 90CMF and 3 80mm's at 45 CMF.

Replaced the PSU tonight. Still having problems.

I suppose the problem is now narrowed down to either the motherboard or processor, since its presenting as a RAM fault.

Thoughts?

Try Swithcing RAM stick, boot up with one at a time, if both cause it try to get a known good stick. if problems still presist, its either motherboard or CPU.

Yeah. That would be a good idea, except I already said that I had tried it in the first post. The error still presents itself even when I swapped in some RAM that I KNOW is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom