Can somebody help me convert my PC into a non-gaming, media PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartthecartoon

In Runtime
I have given up on my childish dreams of using my computer for gaming, due to the lack of PCI-E support, so I have decided to just use this computer to store movies, and music. Here is what I eventually want to get for my computer, and any help picking out the best models would be a great help:
-A TV tuner card
-A PAL TV tuner card (will it work with a US computer and moniter? I need it to play European video games with.)
OR a universal TV tuner which will work with both.
-2 DVD-RW drives with lightscribe
-PCI video card that will have an S-video output, and be powerful enough to watch DVD's in high quality
-Huge hard drive, what size do you think I'll need for storing a lot of movies/music?
-X-fi audiology sound card

vlc is good, u have divx i presume, i heard of an m player recently, dont know how good that is, but divx is good, and for files that dont play in either, vlc will play them, at least as far as my expereince goes.

In light of the new movie media comming out (blue ray, and high density DVD) I was wondering what upgrades my computer will need to be able to play these new disks.

well it will need a blu-ray rom drive or writer. but i wouldn't set my hopes on getting one of those until a while after they're released. readers will probably start at $200-$300+ (australian dollars) and writers upwards of $500 just like every other new technology. as for a tuner-cards look at the leadtek winfast range. the tuner cards should be able to switch between ntsc and pal. i know because i live in australia and when i first bought a tuner card for some reason it was set to ntsc and it was really p*****g me off because i couldn't get reception, then i noticed it was set to ntsc so i changed it to pal and it worked fine. at least the video input will work for pal and ntsc, i tested that with my xbox (modded and can switch between pal and ntsc modes). for video card i would say a geforce 5 series would do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom