Flexed motherboard a bit. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stabber

Solid State Member
Well I was installing a memory stick last night. I went to push down on the motherboard and noticed I was getting a good amount of flex and this made it very hard to get the memory in. I tried SEVERAL times to get the memory in and finally got it to snap in. (I pushed hard a few times.)

Now I'm paranoid I hurt the motherboard (like broke a trace or hurt a solder). (

The computer boots fine and ran stable under prime95 for over an hour after all of this. Seems to be ok, but how can I be sure?
My co-worker said boards are meant to take some flex and that since it's running fine, I probably didnt damage anything. Said he's flexed boards in the past without damaging them.

Opinions? How can I tell if something is damaged?
Thanks

Ussually you won't notice anything for a while. It there is a problem, unless it major, you either won't see it or it will take a while to become visable. I suspect that you are fine, as I too have "Flexed" a few boards without issue. Besides, even if there is a problem, you would have to replace it, not a warranty replacment thing...
Good Luck

I work in an environment where we repair electronic circuit card assy. Although it is possible that you have created a hairline fracture on one of the card's run, it is unlikely unless it isn't complete which is also unlikely. Yes, all boards will take some flex. Try running a few processor intensive programs for a while. Count yourself lucky and put those spacers between your MOBO and casing. That's what they're there for.

well I ran prime95 for an hour (55% cpu usage) and it ran great.

I also ran memtest for an hour, (100%cpu usage). It reported no memory errors

I'm running memtest86 right now as we speak. So you think I'll be ok?

I hate worrying

i just hold the bottom and put oppisite pressure while i am connecting a cable or wire, no need for spacers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom