CD-ROM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_mogul

The Original Mac User
Okay, band teacher's computer is now SPYWARE free, but it also forgot how to read CD's put into the CD-ROM... And she needs to be able to read music cd's ASAP> I've done everything I know how to do, device manager, rebooting, cleaning, anything to make it work and nothing happens...
specs:
1.8ghz Celeron
256mb RAM
WinXP Pro

The drive is just generic and it worked yesterday...
Any help would be appreciated:)

whatever program you used might have accidentally deleted the drivers. just go online and find the cd-rom's drivers and redownload them. also if you used Spybot: Search and Destroy it keeps an archive of stuff it deleted (not sure about other programs). try restoring all that and see if it workls again.

Im w/ ADZ and D4RK GR4YL3N
I think u should reinstall the drivers, check if its visible in DM, and if the drivers dont work AND u cant c it in device manger, u got a faulty drive :(

Should be the drivers.CD's just go away sometimesIf you had win 95 youed have to go into DOS and reload your drivers but with 2000 or XP.You should be able to get it back up again.

Did you try Add hardware in control panel.When yuor bios first loads up is it listed along with the Hard drive.

Okay, It's showing in DM and when I double click the CD icon in 'My computer' the computer freezes and I have to force reboot. I and I would d/l the drivers, but I don't know where to look. It's a school issue computer and it was here when school started and there were no manuals or discs.

U shouldn't need specific cdrom drivers for Xp .. the generic ones should work well enough ...

Have u tried changing the access modes in the device manager ...
Also try changing the IDE cable connecting the CDROM

If none of this works then the Cdrom's most likely toast

Another thought to verify if the CD-ROM is toast would be to place a bootable CD in the drive. Verify that your BIOS is checking CD-ROM first, then see if this bootable disk appears. Your Windows XP media disk should work. If you get the press any key phrase, then you know that your CD-ROM is working and that if you can get the proper drivers reloaded, you will be good to go.

May I suggest something else? This is time consuming but may save headache down the road. Go ahead and reformat the machine. It sounds like its been through quite a bit and would probably run a lot better if Windows were reloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom