Which type of monitor is the best? CRT, Flat CRT, or LCD/TFT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrynham

Baseband Member
I have recently bought 2 17" Flat CRTs (IBM and Philips), both I was not happy about because the image quality on the edges wasnt satisfactory, so i got a refund on them.......

So could anyone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages for all the different types of monitors which are other there (CRT, Flat CRT, and LCD/TFT)?

I many use the computer for regular web browsing and computer work, however I also want the monitor to perform well for Games and DVDs.

Thanks.

I'd say go for TFT. 17" or 18" theyre not so expensive anymore and the image quality is far better than crt and colors look much deeper and so on. only minus thing is that ur sorta stuck with one resolution. and be sure to buy "fast enough" tft so that u can play games.

i also had problems with getting proper 17" crt monitor. was the 3rd monitor i was satisfied with. first 2 were blurry at the edges! but this one (Hyundai deluxscan v770) has been working fine.

yeah, I am not too keen on TFT screens.......plus here in Australia they havent gotten that cheap yet :p
plus I got 5.1 Sound so i need somewhere to put the centre speaker on top of the monitor :p

so is it true that all Flat CRTs have some sort of distortion problem on the edges?

if so what exactly is the benefit in this case over the conventional CRT monitors? :confused:

Stick with CRT flat there cheap and flexible .Let the LCD`s , Plasma`s etc.. mature ( meaning the technology get better)

so what is the real difference between Flat CRTs and Conventional CRTs? other than the fact they have a flat screen.

Sony F520 is the best CRT enjoy the $1540 price.Flat screen is flat.Conventional would be like a TV have a slight rounding to it.You get what you pay for.

The reason manufacturers went to the flat screen is that it doesn't reflect the surrounding ambient light. If the CRT was slightly rounded the surrounding ambient light is reflected especially if you were looking at it from a slight angle(tubes used to be 1R or 2R, R=radius).
Sony trinitron can be perfectly flat whereas shadow mask (Philips, Panasonic etc..) is difficult to make flat. Sometimes they cheat and just make the glass flat.
CRT's are still better quality, especially for the motion aspect of things. TFT's suffer from 'response timing' which affects the motion, can look like 'blur'.
But you can get some good quality ones nowadays and the technology is always getting better

The main difference is price and size. CRT's are less costly but take up more room on your desk. Also, for gaming, you don't have to worry about a CRT's response rate, but you do with an LCD.

If ur anywhere close to being a gamer .. then stick to the CRT .. U can probably pick up a good 19" CRT monitor for the same price or lesser than a 17" TFT

yeah, I think I have come to the conclusion that I am going to get a CRT......but whether it will be a Flat CRT or a conventional CRT is another matter........

but when it comes to image quality which is better?

by the way, im looking for a 17" which I am able to run well in 1152x864 at 75Hz. I say this because the 2 Flat CRTs that I bought before were able to run this resolution but not very well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom