The dreaded blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamjero

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, but it looks like a pretty active board so hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I need some help troubleshooting my PC.

I have been offline for almost seven months now and today I got some cable broadband. The first thing I did was download quite a few upgrades for windows. The d/l and install completed and I was told to reboot. On the restart everything went smooth until the desktop is supposed to pop up and blam.... blue screen. I killed the power and tried to boot up again and it made it all the way through to the scandisk and blam... blue screen. I tried booting up in safe mode to no avail. I tried reverting to the last known good setting and had no luck. I tried cancelling scandisk and that didnt work either.

About two weeks ago I purchased a 128Mb graphics card and I thought it may be taxing my 450Mhz P3 so I put the old graphics card in and that didnt help either.

this is what it says across the top of the screen...

STOP: 0x0000001E (0x0000005, 0xEB4608D3, 0x00000000, 0x0000000C) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Address EB4608DB base at EB460000, Date Stamp 3a2561d2 - L842pr2.sys

This is from the microsoft support page describing the error.
4. If you have a video driver that was not supplied with the operating system, try switching to the standard VGA driver or a driver that is compatible with the operating system.

I looked on the microsoft hardware compatability list and my ATI Radeon 9200 was not there.

Mabey this is a problem with the driver I installed for the video card? I have been using the new video card for a couple weeks now with no problems. Wouldnt the blue screen have popped up when I started using the video card? How do I take the new driver out if I cant get windows to come up?

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Im running Win 2000 Pro. My next option involves a hammer and a blow torch unless someone can help.

Thanks, I feel like its most probably the updates.

The video card worked for two weeks with no problem and it didnt fix after i put in the old one back in. The microsoft support page said it could be a trojan virus, but I was only online for 10 minutes, all I downloaded was the updates, and I was running norton antivirus.

I guess Ill try to get into safe mode or repair mode a couple more times... If I cant get in then I'll have no choice but to reinstall or repair OS right?

I have two things to mention.... in case of any kinda failure.. Never Ever try to go in any mode except for Last known Good Configuration.... as my exprience says that once ou try any other mode the last known... would not work the way it should... and secondly the microsofts HCL does not mean that you'r device if not present in the list would not work.... If you have the proper driver for the version of windows that you are using it should work fine (whether digitally signed by microsoft or not)

Chances for survival are not good :( I tried a couple times today with no luck. If I can get it to boot, how do I uninstall the updates?

Im gonna try disconnecting all peripherals and unnecessary drives and try to boot in safe mode, backup data, and re-install.

Luckily I backed up all my music about a week ago. I hate to lose all my other data tho.

I got it to boot in the recovery console is there a way to uninstall the updates from here? Or just backup some of my data?

Backup

If you have a second computer, you could insert your HD into the other machine as a slave and copy the folders containing your data.

Yes I have a second computer and a friend suggested the same thing. I just connect my hard drive, set it to slave, and I can access it on the other computer? There is no reformatting or anything? Just plug it in and back the data up?

you got it! All you have to do is put the HD in as slave. Depending upon how old your BIOS is, you may have to run setup and autodetect this second HD. When you get to windows, provided everything was done right, you will see your slave HD as the next letter designation, probably E. You can then browse to the appropriate files and copy them to your master HD.

Once the computer starts messing up its a little to late to make an emergency repair disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom