Smoosh

Baseband Member
I wonder if anyone can help, i've got an acer aspire 1620 specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz (Northwood)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60 GB Ultra ATA/100 HDD
DVD-Dual Drive

It over heats majorly, i'm supprised it doesn't melt, but the main thing is how loud the fans are when it gets this hot.

I can't say a percific temp, as i can't see it anywhere in the BIOS.
I bought a laptop cooling pad which helps a bit, but it's not very practical.

So i'm thinking about underclocking it, how would I go about this, i've no experience with over/underclocking.

Would this be a safe thing to do, because if something goes wrong i don't think I can really open it up and attempt to fix it.

Also would this help my battery life, which is very poor, about 40 minutes at a push.

P.s. Any other suggestions to fix this would be appriciated :)

I don't think you can. The motherboard should come locked so that you can not change the clock speed.

You should sell it and get a Turion or Pentium M processor.

The Pentium 4 is bad enouph in a desktop; not alone in a Laptop. I have one, I know.

turtile said:
I don't think you can. The motherboard should come locked so that you can not change the clock speed.

You should sell it and get a Turion or Pentium M processor.

The Pentium 4 is bad enouph in a desktop; not alone in a Laptop. I have one, I know.

oh ****, do you mean just buy the processor?

dont buy the processor, generally laptops are always hot, my friends has a p4 3.2ghz HT, it gets so hot sometimes you cant even put it on your lap, so that gives you an idea how hot it can be and still be safe.

Download Speedfan and see what the temps are.

If it's new or still under warranty, I suggest that you take it to Acer for Warranty Service.

It might be some thing like a faulty CPU fan or the CPU fan is not secured properly. CPU Fan not being secured properly is a common enought fault as you need to secure each screw in a particulare order.

it's not under warrenty anymore :(, is there anyway i can check it/replace it myself

i tried speed fan it wasn't too clear, HD0 was 46 C TEMP1/2 were 76 C
fan speeds weren't told :(

76C is way to hot. You shouldn't let is go over 72. I try to keep mine at 50C.

You can't switch the CPU since the others are different sockets. Just remember on your next purchase to get the laptop specific CPUs instead.

See about opening the base of that notebook and hitting the fan with some Canned O2.

Harper said:
See about opening the base of that notebook and hitting the fan with some Canned O2.

i'll try and give that ago, a bit scared opening it though :amazed:

is there anyway i can get all of the BIOS settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom