New here, need help with a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookmc

Beta member
I have Windows XP and I run AVG anti-virus. Sunday I got swarmed by a number of viruses and I was able to remove most. One virus, a downloader virus is located in c:\System Volume Information\_restore{.....}\RP574\A0132275.exe and everytime I try to access the System Volume Information folder, I get access denied.

The Anti virus program will pop up a message telling me the virus is there but when I search, it will not find it. I have also run Trend Micro's online virus scan and get the same results.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried it in safe mode and command mode. I get the same access denied. I can't even change the attributes of the folder. Really though, I've never noticed this folder before. Could it have been created by the virus?

c:\System Volume Information\_restore{.....}\

Is that where Windows System Resotre files are located? If it is, then you can clear it by disabling system restore and then reneabling it. I am not positive if that folder does indeed contain the system resore points or not so you might want to wait for more advice before you clear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom