ibm00001.exe? and a few other problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevCor632

Baseband Member
I have been having a few problems lately:

#1 - My computer will restart unexpectedly. Some days I'll come home from school, or wake up in the morning, and my comp will have been restarted. Sometimes it happens when I'm using it too. As you can imagine, it's terribly irritating, especially if I'm playing a game, or have lots of tabs open in Firefox that are not bookmarked, or working on an un-saved Word document.

#2 - Whenever my copmuter starts up (rebooting, or after being off), this error message appears on the desktop:

Windows cannot find '"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe"'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search.

What is that file? What does it do? Is there a way to get that file, or at least a way to stop the message from appearing? It doesn't seem to be adversely affecting my computer..

#3 - Sometimes when I start Firefox, or sometimes in the middle of a browsing session, a bunch of Internet Explorer pop ups will appear with titles like "Search Inqwire" or those fake "system error" pop ups, etc. I've done spyware and virus scans, and I had a few, but I got rid of them (I think) but it still does it.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions about any of these problems, help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

PS - I'm running Windows XP Pro

I've heard that too, so I need to know how to get Windows to STOP searching for it, since my AV program deleted it. It's not listed in the Start Up menu.

Any help with the other problems, anyone? =)

Its probably best if you run Hijack This and post a log in the HijackThis Logs (analyze) section. I think your AV didn't get rid of the virus properly. Theres probably reg keys still in there, which windows is still using. You could search your reg for ibm00001.exe, and find the reg keys. But I wouldn't delete them, it more of seeing if there are keys that are related to virus still there.

EDIT: Found another thread, which has ibm00001.exe here. I'm more certain you should post a Hijack This log.

You have TR/PSW.Proxy.A.1 - Trojan. It tries to steal email account iformation. So post us a log

Alright I'll do the HijackThis scan later today.

Do you think that might help with the random restarts?

I right clicked on My Computer and clicked Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings and under System Failure, I unchecked Automatically Restart. When I woke up this morning, I had a blue screen of death with the following error message:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000004, 0x826EB663, 0xB99BEB98, 0X00000000)

Does that mean anything to anybody?

That's all of it. The rest of the BSoD just says stuff like "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this message, restart your computer, if it appears again follow these steps"

Then it says "Technical Information:" and shows the stuff I posted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom