serial ata vs. ide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

likwiFIRE

Baseband Member
I have never bought a serial ATA hard drive before, and I was wondering whta the difference is between serial ATA and IDE. I was also wondering if there was a special way I had to install it? Is there a certain slot I have to plug it into on the mobo? Or could I plug it into any one of the 4 serial ATA slots. I have a DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152

also is there anything different I have to do after I setup the computer and am installing windows? Anything in the bios? or do i just setup the computer and install windows?? thanx & sorry for bein such a n00b :(

WEll good choice but if thats ur only Hard Drive you might want a secondary drive so get one of the drives on the page a gave you and the WD raptors are some of the best drives out there(wish i had one)
and theres nothing special you have to do to install any knid of hard drive.

serial ata and sata are the same thing. serial ata 2 and sata2 are also the same thing, but they double the bandwidth over sata1.

I recommend SATA II or SATA I If you can find SATA 3 for a decent price go for it they may even have a 4 by now but I'm not sure on that.

Tyler1989 said:
I recommend SATA II or SATA I If you can find SATA 3 for a decent price go for it they may even have a 4 by now but I'm not sure on that.

I dont think theres any motherboards out that even support SATA3 or 4. I havent even heard of Sata 3,4 but i dont pay much attention to the Hard Drive Market.

When I was looking for harddrives for my new PC I came across I few that claimed to be SATA3 on newegg but I didn't see any 4 but they propably exist by now.

there is no such thing as sata 3 or sata 4, you may have seen sata 3.0gb/s, which is sata2, becuase it doubles the bandwidth of sata1 from 1.5gb/s to 3gb/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom