What is best for your PC? Off, On, Hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfHearts

Baseband Member
I have heard that you should leave your PC on, that just seems strange to me so I don't do it. So I always turn it off when I am done, I could turn it on and off 2 - 3 times a day, but then I was told that all of this "cold" booting could damage the computer. What about hibernating or sleeping, is this better. Maybe all of this is BS and it doesn't even matter.
Thanks for any input.

KOH.

Turning it on and off will not cause any damage to the components. I would not agree with leaving it on 24/7 unless it is doing something useful, because it's a waste of electricity.

m3trj said:
Turning it on and off will not cause any damage to the components. I would not agree with leaving it on 24/7 unless it is doing something useful, because it's a waste of electricity.

Actualy over a large amount of time it does, the cooling and heating up of the components cause it. Leaving your computer on is by far safer, though most people won't have that computer long enough to notice. Also Most erros and problems occur because of powering off and on. Other then just having a STUPID user...

m3trj said:
I usually download large files over night

Yea it's on when i use it, but when i go somewhere during they day, i put it on standby, then at night i shut it down.

Ste said:
though most people won't have that computer long enough to notice.

Thats the key point. You are not going to have your PC long enough to see the effects of turning it on and off.

Anyway, the mmost damaging is turning it on for short amounts of time and then turning it off regually.

My PC is on all the time I'm in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom