Just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
I've been giving some thought to getting two 7800gtx for my SLI, but I have a power supply question. My current power is a PC Power and Cooling 510 Turbo. Is that enough power to run two 7800gtx cards? I'm assuming so, considering my comp was configured to have two 6800 ultra's. I thought I would ask you guys for opinions though.

Thanks all.

I found this using Google....

Power Supply Requirements

Now here's where we are going to surprise you a little bit more. Ever since the 7800 was rumored on the web immediately the discussion started on how much power it would consume with that huge transistor count. The 7800 GTX, my friends actually uses less power then the 6800 Ultra. NVIDIA claims it uses 10 watts less then the previous high-end model. And that's lovely! I mean we have quite similar core frequency, basically the same memory, 80 million more transistors and yet it's using less power draw. It likely has something to do with the smaller fabrication process (0.11 micron), which normally results in a lower core voltage for the graphics processor.

So NVIDIA is recommending nothing too dramatic in terms of a power supply unit. At the least a 350 Watt PSU with 22 amps available on the 12 Volts rail should be sufficient.

If you decide to become an uber gamer with two 7800 GTX cards in a SLI setup then you do need to look at something with a little reserve though. 500 Watts with 30 amps on the 12 volts rail. Have a look at this OCZ Modstream 520W PSU we recently reviewed. We actually use it in our test rigs, highly recommended as it can peak to 620 Watts.

Yes, it will be enough as it is a quality PSU, but this depends on your other hardware. If you have 4 hdd for example, it will not be enough.

Thanks guys. That's all I needed to know. I'm not running alot of hardware, so it should be fine then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom