Big Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
Ok so I started up my new computer for the first time today. BIOS runs fine, everything else runs great. I tried to install windows XP on the computer. The CD DRIVES (Both of them, Including another CD ROM DRIVE I had sitting around because I experiments) both worked... all 3 of them. It loaded the neccessary things needed to continue and everything, but when it got to the partitioning section of the operation, the CD ROM DRIVE's would slowly run slower and eventually die down to a dull hum and the computer would freeze up. At this point I decided it might be the hard drive because when it gets to the partitioning part of the installation, it freezes up, and this is all happening to the hard drive. It is detected through BIOS, so are the CD ROM drives, and everything is plugged into the motherboard and power supply securely. Everything is configured to the correct IDE slot as well. Do I have a defective hard drive? Can someone help me?

Did you install RAID and SATA drivers if needed? (some motherboards need this a requirement before installing XP)

well I'm not sure how to do that on a computer that has never been operated on... no OS or anything. I have an ASUS p4p800-E Deluxe Mobo. The biod did have the option of setting it to RAID or IDE configuration but naturally I set it to IDE (although it was set at RAID when I booted) because I don't use RAID, I only have one hard drive.

I have eliminated one problem however, I tried to use another hard drive that I had (this one works trust me) and the SAME thing happened. So my thoughts are that it isn't the hard drive. Now I have NO clue what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, make sure the HD and CD-rom are on separate IDE channels, also for the sake of trouble shooting just have 1 HD and 1 CD-rom connected until we solve this problem. Make sure that both drivers are set to master on their separate IDE channels.

Make sure the disc is clean.

Now try it again, tell us what happens.

Even if you have one drive on a RAID controller, you still have to make a RAID disc. Make sure its in the primary IDE plug.

If you need to, go on another computer get the Asus CD, right click, explore, open the makedisc program, insert a floppy and it will make it

At start up boot from the CD - DO NOT PUT FLOPPY IN TIL AFTER THE BIOS IS LOADED - press F6 when setup says to w/ the floppy in

OK so everything was configured correctly and all I did was unplug the slave drive (jumpers set right, IDE controllers set right, BIOS detected them correctly) I got SO much further. I partitioned my drive and got to 28% on the setup is copying files. The CD ROM drive then began to slow down again to a dull hum until I got barely anything and it froze again. So although I got so much further, it froze again. Any ideas?

I have my ASUS CD in this computer but I'm not seeing any makedisk file... Am i understanding you correctly?

Can you get your hands on another install disk? Had the same problem with a scratched cd. Every time I would make a change I would get a little further. Friend brought his cd over and bingo no problem.

well all I did was when I got to the part at the beginning where it says press f6 to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID controller or w/e I did that but the disk had nothing to do with it. I installed a windows XP RAID controller but it said I had no extra disks to even create a RAID setup with. I created a floppy through a makedisk file in a folder labeled VIARAID and then DriverDisk but when I tried to boot from floppy it said it wasnt a bootable floppy, and then CD ROM but nothing happened with the floppy.

I also have a windows 2000pro CD and tried that, but the same thing happened, plus I tried the XP disk on the other computer to see where it would take me and no problems with that. I'm about out of ideas pretty much. I mean it cant be the Mobo because the BIOS comes up fine... however I do get an error upon bootup saying something like BIOS not detected, but I think that's only because the BIOS is on this CD and I can't use the CD because it's not a bootable CD... but I just get the original system BIOS which displays everything great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom