problem with HDD, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0rana

Baseband Member
I have a 160GB seagate hard drive, 80GB IBM hard drive and I use windows XP. I suspect my 80GB hard drive isn't working because of the following situation:

If I only hookup my seagate drive, my computer works. If I hook up my seagate and my IBM drive, my computer does not work. The first thing my computer does when it's in DOS mode is to detect IDE drives, and it detects nothing! When it continues to do stuff in DOS mode, it later gives me this message:
Writing BMI Pool Data. . . . .
Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM
Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter
I can't bybass it, and it won't load windows XP. Anyone know how to fix this?

you have to go into the bios and make sure the boot order is right for harddrives on my system there is a sub menu and you pick which hard drive to boot of

since you did not say that you system did not see a drive i am asuming that you have your jumpers set right

since you did not say that you system did not see a drive i am asuming that you have your jumpers set right
But my computer did not detect any harddrives if both of my hard drives are connected. If my seagate drive is the only hard drive connected, then my computer does detect that one.

And my jumper cables are right, the Seagate is the master and the IBM is the slave.

I went to BIOS and set the boot device to all the same spot like this:

First Boot device : HDD-0
Second Boot device : HDD-0
Third Boot device : HDD-0

And the problem is still there, it won't boot from the seagate drive for some odd reason when the IBM drive is present.

Try connecting them on different controllers. Best if you do it this way:

Controller 1: Bootable Seagate HDD - Master

Controller 2: CD/DVD Drive- Master & IBM HDD- Slave

And don't forget to set this configuration up in your bios.

Its in the boot up configs. Try looking for something along the lines of boot up sequence or boot up configurations.

Try connecting them on different controllers. Best if you do it this way:

Controller 1: Bootable Seagate HDD - Master

Controller 2: CD/DVD Drive- Master & IBM HDD- Slave
I thank you all for spending time and effort to help me because it works now! :D

But why won't it work when both hard drives are in the same controller? Is that just bad practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom