Socket 754 manual ram settings, Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
i originaly posted a question about the Ram on s754 auto clocking to DDR333 speed if more then 1 double sided DDR400 dimm was used...

Quoted from my gigabyte GA-K8NE manual.... "Because of CPU Limitations, if you want to install DDR400 memory modules in your system, please install either one double-sided or two single-sided DDR400 memory modules. The DDR400 speed will drop down to DDR333 if you install two double-sided or three single-sided DDR400 memory modules."

i found the answer to that question but it rose another, as follows....

---------------
threw info given to me at other placess, iv come to the conclution that the ram limitation issue is just normal operation for all s754 CPU's... due to the aspecs of the CPU's onboard mem controler.

I do need info or Help though with manual ram settings... I came across a guy who said he encountered the ram limitation on his gigabyte K8NS mobo, so he just manually o/c'ed the ram back up to DDR400 speed, and it worked fine on his board.... I wont to attempt the same.

However there are no mem settings in my Bios.... i looked at his K8NS manual as well threw the gigabyte website and his mobo has even Less O/c options then mine.... So how did he o/c the memory? please advise?

The o/c options in Bios list as follows...
-CPU Frequency
-CPU Spread Spectrum
-K8 CPU Clock Ratio
-Robust Graphics Booster
-then a bunch of diff voltage options for cpu, PCIE, DDR, HT-Link

Is there a Program Tool from AMD that you can install to controle the CPU's built in mem controller or something?

RAM is linked to the FSB (or HTT), so all you have to do is raise the FSB and the RAM will follow. You can lower your CPU multi while you do this to keep the CPU from OC'ing to high if you need to.

My 3700+ Clawhammer is clocked at 200mhz Frequency @ 2.4GHz

I only had access to DDR333 at the time so i tested the board out with that... but CPU Clock remained at 200mhz @2.4GHz... however memtest reported ram frequency at 166.

there is no memory / ram settings in my bios. as stated in first post....

So are you incorrect? or am i missing something...? Bios and windows report 200fsb clock speed for cpu, but DDR333 is installed @166fsb speed. ?????

Please clearify

Its applying a divider to lower the RAM setting.

Currently the settings are

HTT 200
CPU Multi x12
166 RAM divider

This results in CPU of 2.4 and RAM of 166.

Change HTT t0 240 (241 to be exact) and lower the CPU multi to x10. This will leave the CPU at 2.4Ghz, but raise the RAM back up to 200Mhz.

Will the 241 o/c affect any other part of the system besides Ram? or does HTT only affect ram?

That sounds like an easy enough solution though... i might even beable to leave muli at x12.... cause i have the Scythe NINJA HSF on the 3700... and it currently Idles ~24C and ~33C full load.

Thx for the info.

quick question though.... This is my first A64 setup, and i never O/Ced anything in the past either... so is that how all A64's OverClock? or do some A64 mobo's allow you to set the memory divider manually?

First, one more thing... You will also need to lower your LTD multi to x3, you need to keep LTD x HTT below 800. Also, lock PCI and AGP at 33/66.

If you leave your CPU multi at x12, that will put the CPU at almost 2.9Ghz. You DO NOT want to jump straight to that big of an OC. I am not saying the CPU won't do it, but that is far too big of a jump.

You should start by reading the A64 OC'ing sticky, which will explain all of this in much greater detail.

Thx for the info.. and dont worry i have never O/c'ed but im aware of the causions, just not informed of how the o/c work with the A64 setups.

I actually dont think ill even do the O/c to match DDR400 speed.... i might just stick with 1GB stick so it runs 400 1:1 ratio.... witch is what i would like to do with 2 dimms... but i dont think there is any option to allow this in my BIos settings.

Is there possiblu a program out there that i could run from windows to Manually change the Memory Divider? or Must i have that option in my Bios in order to do it? If there is such a program please let me know.

Also im not even shur if i can O/C like that with this board... ill have to take a look next time i have it setup and running... cause i dont think there is any HyperLink Muliplyer option so it might just be stuck at 4x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom