New PC for around $1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

taterknight

Banned
Hey, I'm looking to build a computer for around $1200. It'll be mostly for gaming, web surfing, etc. I play games such as BF2, UT2K4 etc. I have some absics of what I want, I'm looking for suggestions, and other items to get. Also I've been wondering, is it better to get a CRT or an LCD with DVI. Does DVI amke a big difference, and waht do I need to be looking for when getting an LCD, or CRT.

CPU- AMD64 Venice 3200+ $152
RAM- 2x1Gb G.skill RAM DDR400 (PC3200) CL2-$214
Motherboard- DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD-$96 GPU –EVGA 6800GS - $200
Case-Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 - $80
HD-250GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA-$100

Well, for DVI I believe you are going to want an Intel processor. But for gaming you are going to want an AMD. If it's 50/50 DVI/Gaming then I would choose an AMD Proc. 80/20 DVI/Gaming I would choose an Intel processor. I'm not too sure on which moniter is better for DVI. I know some LCD moniters have a ghosting effect in gaming, so read around and try to find one that doesn't have this ghosting effect.

One quick question about that motherboard you choose. I know DFI's top of the line mobo is ~$197. $96 dollars seems kinda cheap. I would go for the one right under the SLI-DR, if you aren't considering useing SLI. Good video card too. I don't know a thing abput PSUs so someone else is going to have to help you on that. Looks like you're going to have a pretty nice gaming machine, I know that for sure.

$1200.00 you could easily get a nicer system.

Here: This one is a fantastic budget gamer. All price newegg.com

AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice = $201
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 = $128
GSKILL Extreme Series (1G 512MBx2) Samsung TCCD = $150.00
Seagate 120GIG SATA = $86.00
Evga 7800GT = $320
X-fi extreme music = $111.50
ThermalTake Tsunami Case = $115.00
Antec Truepower TPII -550w = $90.00

Total $1201.50 - **** good buy for $1200

This is all hardware - No operating system

I also need a monitor in that budget, although if I decide to go with a CRT i can just use this one, but ill probably want a bigger one.(this one is a 17 in. sony.

Also why should I get the 1Gb of RAM instead of 2? And I don't need a really nice soundcard onboard or like a Audigy value or whatever its called will do. Thanks for suggestions though, I didnt realize the 7800Gt had dropped os much in price.

Well, it's like this. If you already have a monitor, just use that one.
Put all of your money you have and invest it into a nicer machine. Then use your current monitor and continue to save for a newer one.

The same thing applies with the RAM. 1GIG will be plenty for awhile. 2GIG's is nice but it's not totally needed. You can always easily upgrade more RAM later. You know what I mean.

Well, do whatever you want, but this is what I'd do.

I think I'll go with my RAM and then upgrade the other stuff according to your specs, butwith a cheaper soundcard, the difference in RAM price will probably make up for the difference in soundcard price. Also do you ahve to overclock RAM in order to overclock the CPU and is this RAM and this CPU good for overclocking. Also I still dont get Cl, and the speed parts. I don't understand why getting DDR400 not like DDR533, but my motherboard says DDR400 anyone can explain this?

The ram that is supported by that motherboard is DDR 400 (PC 3200). Just get ram that matches those numbers. DDR, not DDR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom