Looking for the most complete fail safe solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I'm looking to the most complete fail safe solution for laptop and desktop users. Im wanting to know this because we have a lot of users that have hard drives fails, etc. How is a user supposed to get his documents off his hard drive if this laptop wont boot, even worse, if he hasnt synchrozined with the server yet? I can, myself use ERD Commander and recover most files but what they do for the time being? Personally, I dont want the user to be able to save directly to the computer, especially a desktop since they are always 100% of the time, connected to the network. A lot of times, whe I need to re-image a laptop, they need to keep it for few days to make sure all there files are there on the network so that puts me in a delay to put in a new hard drive and re-image. I need to think of something for the user, mainly laptop users to save files to whenever they can. For desktop users, I want everything to be saved to the sever, ther hidden share$. Do you all have any suggestions? Its like I need to deny them access to local folders and drives so they cant save them there but only save them to there share$ on the server. Does that make sense? Here is a perfect situation. Then financial directors hard drive just died. Here archives were never sync. to her share$ on the server. She had 14 years worth of important email. Which is over 3 gb, 3 archive each since you can go over 2gb in Outlook. Luckily, I had ERD and I found her archive. Thi could have been prevented if she was denied access to save it to her hard drive, but, she travels alot so she would need a copy of it somewhere for her to refer to in her email. I would suggest to just VPN and access her email there.

upload your critical files to megaupload. you can upload 10 gig for free (you can upload more if you pay for it). then if you need it, just pay to use the software for 1 month and download it back.

is that what you are asking?

No, something different. Some users use Sprint Dial up service so thats not an option. I had to use MU a few weeks ago for this same problem. He said his My documents was gone, the documents inside were gone, empty. So I had to remote into the server and zipem and then upload them for him to download at the hotel.

found the solution but they dont want to pay for it. Raid 1 Sager laptops, $2431 each. sucks.....

We need an idiot proof solution. Having them save it themselves, sometimes it will work, save it to a cd, etc. I'll be getting calls while they are on the road. Raid 1 was the best option I found that required 0% user interaction which is what I am looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom