nVidia 6600 256Mb vs. nVidia 6600GT 128Mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
My sister and her BF are not heavy duty gamers.
At most they are playing WoW.
From time to time, her BF might play a First Person Shooter at occasional lan party (about once or twice a year)

They are not into overclocking.
And nor are they into running everything up at max resolution.
All they really want to do in comfortably play games for the next 18 to 24 months with out having to upgrade.

They both have set up with Motherboard with APG slots. And they are both thinking about give each other the video cards for christmas. And they are hoping that they do not need to upgrade their computer* (with the exception of more ram) until at least mid 2007.

nVidia 6600 256Mb is about $70 cheaper than nVidia 6600GT 128Mb.

What benefit does the nVidia 6600GT have over the nVidia 6600 256Mb. Is it worth the extra $70?

Both my sister and her BF would like to get the 6600GT, however one thing they are not is made of money. Especialy considering it christmas time.

*specs - AMD ATHLON 2800, 1Gb Ram, FX5200 128Mb Video Card.

6600 has I believe 4 pipelines, 6600GT has 8...that alone speaks for itself...the 6600GT will be significantly faster than the 6600

To be honest, the 6600 isn't powerful enough to even take advantage of 256MB of VRAM simply because the memory bandwidth isn't wide enough...added VRAM on poor quality GPUs is often used as a marketing ploy to trick the consumer into believing the card is better than it is

gaara said:
6600 has I believe 4 pipelines, 6600GT has 8...that alone speaks for itself...the 6600GT will be significantly faster than the 6600
Okay.... NUFF SED!

I will still give my sister and her BF the choice of both video cards. And will advise them up the the fact that 6600GT has 8 Pipes where the 6600 only has 4 pipes.

I will let them choose as I don't want to get shot.

no, no, no. you are all wrong, its much cheaper and much more powerful card then the 6600GT. Ihave a 32MB Raedon, and it would run any game signifigantly faster than what your talkin about.

chad standing said:
no, no, no. you are all wrong, its much cheaper and much more powerful card then the 6600GT. Ihave a 32MB Raedon, and it would run any game signifigantly faster than what your talkin about.

your an idiot.

Don't listen to this post anyone.

thats a little unfair, ive done the hard yards in this field, and you are trying to claim the glory for yourself. Realise that other people know heaps too.

gaara said:

Actually, I believe that both cards have 8 pipelines

I can't find much information on the 6600 myself, as it isn't as easy to find, but I believe the difference is the speed of the two cards. It may be 500MHz to 300MHz, not quite sure. I own a Nvidia 6600 as of now... and will be powering up my new PC tomorrow to use it for the first time. So if I can give you any good info Harper on the card, I'll post back.

chad standing said:
chad standing said:
thats a little unfair, ive done the hard yards in this field, and you are trying to claim the glory for yourself. Realise that other people know heaps too.

X2Xtreme360 said:
Actually, I believe that both cards have 8 pipelines

I can't find much information on the 6600 myself, as it isn't as easy to find, but I believe the difference is the speed of the two cards. It may be 500MHz to 300MHz, not quite sure. I own a Nvidia 6600 as of now... and will be powering up my new PC tomorrow to use it for the first time. So if I can give you any good info Harper on the card, I'll post back.
I am going to check up on that too.

As i sead, my sister is just a little shitty again that every thing just changed on her again with computers.
Computer 1 - It's was Pentium III Slot 1. Replaced with Socket 370.
Computer 2 - SD Ram. Replaced with DDR Ram
Computer 3 - APG Slot. Replaced with PCI-E

However with computer number 3, I was able to warn her about the up coming technology that was around the corner. So over all, she's just trying to afford the best possible affordable graphic card that she can put in her computer system. And with that, she might be able to get another 3 years out of her system (Personally I think she's pushing it at 2 years)

The problem is I cop it from my folks as they think I have done the dirty and sold her a dodgy PC. (Yeah Right, like my set up is in the same boat too)

chad standing said:

This is the dumbest post I have ever read on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom