Which OS Best 4 Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bradybnmci said:
sp2 is slower and hogs more memory b/c of certain security features. You can test it by looking at your CPU usage while under load...

this is true...

I'm more of a gamer, and photo editer, I downloaded SP2 right when it came out, the features were horrible and they keep forcing me to use the windows firewall feature which I did not need at all, so by the end of the day I just uinstalled it...

tinyXP is a stripped version of winXP, very much like any of the purpose built versions of XP used by many corporations or agencies in things like kiosks or any other place where security is an issue

the ATM's here in columbus at Key Bank for example use a similar version, it has almost nothing.........removing tools and apps means someone who does get in has little to work with

there are lots of stripped versions of windowsXP on the net these days, and there are apps which let you select your own packages and schemes.........I believe that NLite app you guys were discussing the other night lets you do this?yes?

winXp and all the windows versions for that matter are just precompiled binaries with interdependencies, many can be removed w/o affecting the rest of the system-------many linux distros are the same way and are built using the same basic idea

they did this with win98 too, ive seen win98 installs that were like 40mb versus the 250mb a stock install was.......no windows explorer, no browser, very very few apps........and its a decent base for buidling an OS, it gets rid of many of windows problems it ships with

tinyXP has about a dozen patches plus sp2, its 103mb before install and around 400mb installed I think, it has printing capability, sound, graphics, networking, and thats about it.......the rest can be added as needed

horndude said:
tinyXP is a stripped version of winXP, very much like any of the purpose built versions of XP used by many corporations or agencies in things like kiosks or any other place where security is an issue

the ATM's here in columbus at Key Bank for example use a similar version, it has almost nothing.........removing tools and apps means someone who does get in has little to work with

there are lots of stripped versions of windowsXP on the net these days, and there are apps which let you select your own packages and schemes.........I believe that NLite app you guys were discussing the other night lets you do this?yes?

winXp and all the windows versions for that matter are just precompiled binaries with interdependencies, many can be removed w/o affecting the rest of the system-------many linux distros are the same way and are built using the same basic idea

they did this with win98 too, ive seen win98 installs that were like 40mb versus the 250mb a stock install was.......no windows explorer, no browser, very very few apps........and its a decent base for buidling an OS, it gets rid of many of windows problems it ships with

tinyXP has about a dozen patches plus sp2, its 103mb before install and around 400mb installed I think, it has printing capability, sound, graphics, networking, and thats about it.......the rest can be added as needed

I need that. when I use nlite to strip functions from xp, it doesn't act right. I can add things no problem.

ya, thats cause Nlite isnt quite debugged just yet, it still as some problems from what I read the other night from you guys

check piratebay, its on there

I think what the issue is, is that the windows registry is likely hard to deal with, separating main apps from the system probably needs whatever SDK microsoft uses to build windows, which they havent made publicly available unless you pay a few thousand bucks for it. Microsoft did this for security and $$ im sure.

Im guessing whomever wrote Nlite did some reverse engineering and they havent gotten everything yet. What the registry does is similar to how linux uses a linker or library locator to tell it where to find libraries to run apps, only with windows almost all installed apps get registered too so if windows doesnt know they are there, they wont run or be allowed to use common libraries. Thats something new with NT and XP, files cant be shared by apps running at the same time cept under certain conditions. System files can be, user files cant. They kinda took an adhoc approach to separating user files from system files, hey had too because XP isnt a multiuser OS, just sort of acts like one. Vista is supposed to change this a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom