advice on a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zer4tyr

Solid State Member
critique requested on a list of components

i am making myself a new computer some time soon, this is what i came up with as an idea

Antec p180 case

ASUS a8n SLI-premium motherboard

ASUS extreme 7800gtx, 256mb.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ cpu

Antec Neo-HE 500w PSU

OCZ pc2300 platinum ram 2x1012mb

SONY DRU000A CD/DVD-RW

SONY SONY DDU161288B DVD drive

WD 74gb Raptor, 10,000rpm HDD

Seagate 250gb Barracuda HDD

a few questions, is there much benifit from the additional rpm on the raptor? i am in two minds whether or not to keep it. do the benifits outweigh the price?

also, what cooling would be necsissary?

i am making this from australia, so most likely my prices and availibility of parts will differ from yours. i am using www.i-tech.com to buy the peices.

what do you think?

i would go with the DFI nF4 SLI-DR mobo, cause i heard bad things about the asus+amd combo, i would say the raptor is pointless, you could just raid two of those seagate hdds and they would approximately reach the speeds of a raptor .

about the asus+amd combination, i thought the only problem was a buggy bios in the sil-deluxe version, but i'll go with the DFI anyway, just to be in the safe side. with the raid, i'm kinda confused about that. does it make several HDDs run in sync and backs up data, or does it combine them both into one larger faster drive? can someone please clarify that for me?

The setup in my sig is a great puter. Can do some serious stuff. Cost me about $1700.00 to build and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom