DVD player freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anphrax

In Runtime
The dvd player I got in the mail today seems to be buggy... or im doing something wrong. I installed it and plug in everything right but when I open it up and put in a dvd xp freezes... any ideas?

Windows freezes... id say about 15 - 20 seconds after I put the cd or dvd in. It completely freezes, I cant turn num lock off, cant move my mouse, cant alt f4 out of windows... nothing.

specs.jpg

well its not a lack of computer power, could be a lack of actual power though, how powerful is your psu and could you disconnect anything that might be high drain. check DMA settings. try holding down the shift key when you put the disc in so that it doesn't try to autoplay and see if that stops it freezing. you have to hold it basically the whole time the disc is reading. also can you try a data dvd?

few questions... whats a psu, and how do I check DMA? and no I dont have any dvds with just data on'em. I could try a blank one :confused:

psu=Power Supply Unit. the big box with all the cables coming out of it. how man watts or W is it rated for? and to check DMA

from m$:
To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

Open Device Manager.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:
•

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.
•

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

Well, before I do that Im going to try to set one as a slave and one as a master. I have a 480w demon "silver chrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom