Is fiber in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that's offered heres is Wireless Broadband 1Mbps down $35/month, 56k Dial up and DirecWay Satellite, so be thankful, that u guys have your fancy cable and DSL

Bite me, Nubius -lol
hehe, sorry but you know it's true...no 15 year old woulda thought of that......only a ummm "thoroughly life experienced" young fellow like yourself coulda pulled that one out of thin air :p

Switching to that if it ever comes to the Bay Area. Comcast is charging way too much and since they basically monopolized the whole internet/cable thing around this area, we're prolly gonna end up getting fibre optics from them for way more than we should pay. Cable with like 1.5mbps costs me 55 dollars a month.

I heard they had that in sweeden. Their connections are really advanced! In denmark I think the max is 5mbps, and most people have 1-2mbps.
I'm on the schools connection at the moment, Windows says i'm on 11mbps, but It doesn't seem like it. this is a crappy connection and the max download is 300kbps...

Comcast isnt that bad, in Knoxville TN they offer 8Mbps down 768k up for 50 a month (i know the 15/2 is a better deal but.. well) when you consider that like a few of the others, im stuck with dial up/direcway its a good deal... DirecTV wants to charge me 99/month for 768k/56k... thats ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS!... so.. well.. for now my little version of a dual dial up will have to do.

I've heard Comcast is good. It's not available in my town, but it is in the county next to mine (can we say backwood hick central).

Charter is available, though. If they could match what I psy for DSL, I might consider it.

comcast is overpriced, besides I recently learned from reading my CCNA and Network+ books that if there aren't many users in an area, comcast can have multiple users on 1 cable connection. So there might be some false advertising there to. I pay 55 A month for cable modem rentel and 2 IP's, uh don't ask.

Dispite slow speeds, the real problem with Direcway is they cap your downloads at 168MB per day under the normal service agreement. This applies to all throughput, including streaming audio and video, so dont expect to stream on Direcway.

I have Cox, but considering this area just got 4000/512 last year, upgrading from 512/128...i think its going to be a while before we see 15/2. 4000/512 is fast enough for me right now. I need to be thankful because last year at this time, cable didn't stretch out yet to my location. I was stuck at 9.6Kbps because the phone lines here are so bad.

Ste said:
comcast is overpriced, besides I recently learned from reading my CCNA and Network+ books that if there aren't many users in an area, comcast can have multiple users on 1 cable connection. So there might be some false advertising there to. I pay 55 A month for cable modem rentel and 2 IP's, uh don't ask.

Virtually all cable service is 1x 36 meg shared line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom