Troubleshooting Random Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went through this with my PC. There is a new virus Mc Afee has just updated a fix. Causes random rebooting. At the time I got it McAfee didn't find it so I had to reformat and start over. If your system has been fine and you haven't added anything new software or hardware then this may be your problem. Start your system in safe mode and you should be able to backup files and then reformat. Hope this helps....

I had random reboots happen on my intel board because of the USB port i was using to connect my printer to. Searched this online and the bottom 2 ports (i believe labeled 3 and 4) come into conflict with another piece of hardware on the system so if you have something connected in there it reboots after about 10 hours uptime. Switching my USB printer to port 1 and my other USB stuff to port 2 solved the problem.

wow so many things cause random reboots, then theres me who doesnt have random reboots but a computer that dies when it plays games.... doesnt reboot just kinda kills everything, powers still on but nothing works, screen goes off, its a nightmare. So i cant play games, but i think the problem is to do with my gpu (graphics card) overheating, like the warning at the top of the post, this is because when i try to play newer more graphics intensive games i get the death quicker, im gonna try a new cooler on my gfx card and if it solves the problem i will tell y'all, and any other ideas for ppl with this problem would be greatly appreciated,

Maybe someone can help me narrow down the problem...

My computer only randomly reboots when I'm playing video games. It does this on games as old as Diablo II all the way up to new high-end games like Black & White 2. I can't imagine it is an overheating problem, because I have two cooling fans inside, and one attatched to my video card, I believe. Maybe someone's had a similar problem?

Also, sometimes instead of it rebooting the computer, it just kicks me out of the game, with no warning message or anything.

Please help if you can, my computer was built for gaming, and that's the only thing I can't do on it now!

First things first, did you build the pc? and whats your graphics card, mobo, etc just so we can get an idea of how your pc handles things :)

Yeah, I built it...

Intel P4 2.40GHz

512 MB memory... dont' know exactly what kind they are, but there are two 256s.

NVidia GeForce 6200 vc

2 Harddrives, 60 and 80 gig.

Sounblaster Live! Audio card... Er... am I forgetting anything?

I've had some strange troubles with my system recently. Started rebooting about a month ago. At first I tried a system restore. No good. I read further on the net and changed my power supply and cpu fan. Nothing. I bought a new hard drive and it still rebooted randomly.

I started to conclude that it only rebooted while I was connected to the internet with my 56k modem. I thought "great, I'll just change my modem!" I changed the modem and my PC worked fine for about 8 hours and out of nowhere it rebooted again. I'm close to changing the motherboard! Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 2000+
768mb RAM
160gb HD
128mb GeForce MX440

I'm in a similar situation to you guys. I built the following computer:

Antec SLK2650-BQE with 350W PS
Asus P5GL-MX MB
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
Two Corsair ValueSelect 256 MB DDR400
ATI Radeon X550
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum with Front Panel Jacks
SATA HD
DVD/CD-RW

It's running a fresh install of Windows XP Home. At random times, it will shut off by itself with no error message -- sometimes after an hour, sometimes after a day or two, sometimes with applications running, sometimes with nothing running. It boots back up fine and has no other issues. All drivers and BIOS are latest and nothing is flagged in the hardware manager.

The ASUS PC Probe reports CPU temperatures no higher than 53 C, even under continuous heavy load, and all voltages stay very close to spec (within 0.3 V).

Any ideas?

Thanks. Larry

After a year my pc began strangely rebooting whenever I execute certain programs. If I were to print a page in landscape mode the pc would reboot however printing in portrait would be fine.

Just idleing the pc is fine. A new power supply showed no differences. Perhaps the boot sector on the drive is damaged. I plan to replace the primary drive and try again.

Sudden Shutdowns

I've started experiencing problems on our office purchased Dell system (P4) with the system shutting down or hibernating suddenly after a few minutes of booting up.. The power is still on, but the system seems to go into terminal hibernation mode for no reason... checked the Power Options in Settings and ensured that Hibernation is deactivated along with the other setting options, but still shuts down (and doesn't auto reboot). Basically, you have to shut off the power manually (by pushing the on/off button) and start up again. Yep. the power is still on when the system "shuts" down. Then of course, does it again.
Is it in the power supply, or video card, or CPU, or combination?? System is only 3 years old, and haven't heard of these problems with Dells. Any advice would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom