Sound Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballer

In Runtime
I am currently running windows me and am having a problem with sound. I have all drivers installed, I have updated them, I have reinstalled them and yet, when I go into volume control for example it says that there are no sounds devices installed. I went to "sounds and multimedia" in control panel and under the audio tab, the pull down menu is disabled to pick my device although when I go under devices, it lists it. This is really driving me crazy and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

howdy! uhmm...I think you could uninstall all sound drivers and try to disable/remove any sound device from Device Manager. Then after rebooting windows should find the sound devices and then you can reinstall all the drivers. It might help.

regards,
Tipsi

Do u have onboard sound? make sure if thats the case, its is not disabled in bios. After that do the above, but from safe mode.

Try to uninstall the sound card drivers ONLY from the safe mode - feel lucky if you find any proxy(ghost) drivers there. Then install the sound card drivers from the normal mode (but make sure if the system has a wrong driver in the windows driver database it would tend to install the same drive) So install the correct driver by browsing for the correct file... also try to get the updated driver for the sound card from the internet

Already tried all of that. I have the current driver and it registers that it installed but it says in control panel under sounds and multimedia that there are no devices to choose from (under the audio tab) but if you go to the devices tab, it lists it there. This makes no sense to me, I have never had a problem like this before.

Just remembered something too. It is an older computer that i bought and was planing on upgrading so i opened it up and took out the motherboard and everything just to see what all it had and everything. When i reconnected everything and booted up, my mouse driver and vga driver were messed up. I had to reinstall the video driver and same with the mouse because it gave me an error in the device manager saying that it failed to load icantremember.vxd. Do you think this could have an effect on it even though i have reinstalled/updated the drivers just as I did with the other ones?

I tried to system restore to before i took it apart, but it said it couldnt restore to any of the save points i tried. Anyone have any idea how to get system restore to work or any more ideas on the sound card?

When you were in the computer and taking it apart did you groung yourself first and if not were you on carpet.If not you could have damaged your sound card with a static electric charge .I know that it sounds a bit far fetched but Ive done it before. Also check to make sure the cards plugged in good.And you could also try to change the slot that its in.It cant hurt.Also what maverick said might be the problem .

Nope that's not it, I reformatted and It is working great (I tried everything else and this was my last resort) but now it is working and I have it hooked up to my 600w surround sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom