Way too hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeKToReX

Solid State Member
Im running a P4 2.8ghz on a Gigabyte GA-8S648FX
my processor seems to be running @ alarming temperatures
70+deg Celcuis even with the case open, my bios says 60's but mbm5 says 75~ keeping in mind that MBM doesnt have my mobo on it, i selected a close model 8 to it.
Anyone got any ideas?

See Below...

Attachments

• cpuz.txt
    36.5 KB · Views: 35
Do you have a heatsink on the cpu at all? Sorry, only kidding, you might want to reseat the heatsink on the cpu with a good quality heat transfer paste, Arctic Silver 5 or similar, that will lower your cpu temps a bit.

Also, 39 degrees is a bit warm for case temp, you will never cool a cpu by blowing hot air onto it, so I would suggest you improve your case ventilation and airflow as well. i.e. loads of wires running all over the place inside your case traps air and stops the case fans doing their job. You might also have to think about adding a few more fans to your case.

I have not seen temps like that on an Intel P4 before, its AMDÂ’s job to make chips that are hard to cool.

Yeh thanks, i took processor out for hour or so, turned box back on, went into bios and it seems much better between 35-45 when idle and 45-55 when under load.
Dunno what the prob was...
Thanks Anyway mate

That still seems warm for an Intel cpu, though I don't know enough about the Intels to know if its seriously warm. It may help to post a full system spec here, and include the ambient room temperature.

Was a hot day, 36 celcuis here, sittin @ 31 right now (CPU), not so bad any more.

60 C is the absolute max, actually your system should crash aftera few seconds because the thermocouple should shut the system down, 55-59 are all considered high temps for the chip, you should be about 45 max load which i s what i run with your same setup, i highly recommend not turning your system on very long if its not shutting its self down already, try some arctic 5 and reseat the heatsink and fan unless you got the retail version and it came with it mounted, try the reseat and re-post

Did you try lapping your heatsink? It will drop the temperature by atleast 3-5 C. It is really useful.

I never found lapping to have that much effect, the use of a good Heat Transfer Paste, something from the Arctic Silver range, fills all the imperfections in the heatsink base and CPU core anyway.

I confess that I still ‘re-mill’ the bottom of all my heatsinks though, but only as I have the equipment to do it myself, it does seem like a lot of messing around for one or two degrees.

I am confused as the P4 should have reduced it's clock automatically to supress the heat. It's a built in feature of the chip. I though 65C was the trigger point. Seems that you could have a faulty chip, and may want to consider sending it back before it burns up one day...

Intel made a good mave a few year back with the P3 and thermal switching. When the chip gets too hot, shut it down. Then with the P4 they went one step further, and instead of shutting down, it slows down and lowers the heat. Pasted a link in another post about Toms Hardware and a review they did with removing the heat sinks. When you took it off the P3, it died, but wasn't injured. Then the P4, they took the Heatsink off while palying Q3 and the machine slowed down and kept running at a lower clock. It was pretty cool...
My 2 cents...

Yeah but it is so easy to lap the heatsink. I have found it quite effective. Also those 4-5 C can be very crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom