Fried PSU = Fried Mobo? - NEED Help / Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

storge

Beta member
Hi All,

I am a newbie in the area of building PC's from scratch but never the less I gave it a go.

I am confident the motherboard, cpu and components were all installed correctly however im not so sure that while I was sleeving my PSU that i didnt get any wires mixed up (although I did of course great take care).

Anyway, I put everything together in the case and checked and rechecked everything, when I turned on the PSU it went *BANG* and sparked, which left it with only SOME of the power cords working. At the time it was plugged into the Motherboard, HDD, CD and DVD Roms.

I had NOT pressed the main power button on the PC case yet (just plugged the PSU in which was switched on)

So my question is, how can I ascertain that my motherboard, CPU and components are still working okay? I do not have access to another PSU to test it (plus I am afraid of further damage).

Is it at all possible that the PSU was just faulty and my motherboard survived? was it just a fuse that went in the PSU and no voltage went any further?

Has anyone experienced anything similiar???

ANY help / advice is appreciated, Thanks in advance, FYI the components are:-

*Abit AN8 Mobo
*AMD 3500+ 64bit CPU
*500 Watt Top Power PSU
*1Gb Kingmax Ram
+ all the usual bits.

You will have to use another PSU or try the components in another computer. It sounds to me like something wasn't earthed properly. If you've broken anything it's most likely to be the motherboard.

I had the same problem when I didnt set the power and ground jumpers up properly. I fired my mobo and had to buy a new one. Hope this didnt happen to you. I would say try just having the mobo plugged in and make sure the power switch is hooked up to the right jumper pins. IF you press power on and the cpu fan spins then your mobo should be ok. If not then probably a bad power supply. Keep us informed.

Thanks all for the advice, I hooked it up to a new PSU and the Mobo appears to be dead, as the CPU fan doesnt turn on (even thought the LEDs on the motherboard do!). Now I need to find out what other components also got an electric spike and dont work anymore.

I suspect the Graphics Card, CPU and the HDD at least all copped it... theres a VERY quick way to waste some serious ca$h!

My advice to any newbies that attempt to build a PC from scratch is not to touch / sleeve the Power Supply Unit before testing the PC first.... and even then consider getting someone at the shop to do it for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom