Burning locks app and uses 90-99% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

htcs

In Runtime
Please Help!

Whenever I try to burn anything to DVD on my LG DVD burner, either through Nero, DVD Decrypter, Alcohol 120%, Windows Explorer ... Unlead DVD Creator ... any program... that program that is supposed to be burning uses 90-99% of the CPU. The computer then locks up and the drive won't open. Also, i can't kill the process'.

When this happens, i can't shutdown the computer, tried to use shutdown -r -f to foce it, still doesn't work. I have to hit the reset button.

The exact same thing happens when i try to burn a regular CD with my other LG CDRW drive.

Now... i have made a hardware change - i had to replace my motherboard as the old one was damaged by a bad power supply. These two drives are new and were not connected to the computer whe the PSU went bad - so the drives are good.

I've got a PCChips M825G motherboard - yeah i know... what am i doing with a PCChips mobo... it was free and i needed something fast.

I can read cd's/dvd's no problem... i just can't burn.

Urgently needing some help.

Ok, its probably right under my nose... but i can't seem to find out where the DMA setting/options are. And if the options are not there - what could i possibly do???

from m$ themselves
To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

Open Device Manager.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:
•

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.
•

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

Ok, so i checked it out and i don't have an advanced option to change DMA or PIO Only. When i look at the Device manager i have:

VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA Controller(Dual Mode).

and the general tab says: No drivers are installed for this device.

Any ideas on what i could change it to or if there are any other drivers i can update to?

Ok, so i went out and pruchased a new mobo and CPU. NOw i have the Asus K8V-X SE with an AMD Athlon 64 +2800. I've installed the up-to-date chipset drivers and still getting the same problem.. When i try to burn it freezes up.

I still don't have any advanced options when looking at the primary or secondary controllers.

Any ideas now?

Well, i think it maybe the drives themselves, after putting in a new mobo, and PSU, its still doing it (I put in the PSU because i head/saw it clicking on/off very quicly - very strange).
Also, from the CD/DVD ROM there is a faint odour like something burned - so i'm thinking that may have pooched my DVDRW drive too.

I'm going put in another drive and see if it works - if not, i'm going to try another mobo.

It's Windows XP Pro that has it. I've checked settings in the BIOS, and there it shows an option for the Primary and Secondary IDE DMA Mode is set to Auto (only other option is Disabled).

OK!!!! I"VE FIGURED IT OUT!
====================

Nero finally gave me an error message - Buffer too large!

So i searched that error, and i searched ... and searched!

I read that the VIA drivers on newer ASUS, Chaintech, PCCHIPS, blah blah - that have the new 4-in-1 driver v. 4.5x all experience the same problem. In-short, from what i understood is that the driver is too new for some of the burning applications out there - and in the new version they removed the Advanced Settings tab from the controllers in device manager.

So I went to www.via.com.tw and downloaded version 4.43. Removed the old one and installed 4.43.

EVERYTHING WORKS! and.... and.... the Advanced Settings tab is back!

So i guess i'll have to wait until there's an update for nero and DVD Decrypter that will allow it to support the new driver.

What do u think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom