Multi-Booting with XP and 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if I can install Windows 98 with Windows XP Pro already installed? I have XP installed on my Master Drive and I have another drive that I want to connect as my slave and install Windows 98 on that drive. Can I do this and is there any specific way to do it?

Thanks, Chris

create an empty partition. partition it and set it active in disc management of computer management. install win 98. I don't know if 98 can't boot you back so you might need a third party tool like partition magic to boot back

thanks guys. but I set the other drive to active like you said and tried to install it but it says it can't install it on this drive because I have windows XP. It says that before I can even tell it that I want 98 on a different drive. I'm going to try and use DOS and come back here. :)

I can't tell your to reset your mbr as it can potentially cause a mess and make your system inoperatable

ok one of my friends told me that I might be able to do this by removing the drive containing XP and attach the drive I want 98 on as my master for now. Then I could alter the boot.ini file (i have to look up about what exactly to write) to tell xp that there is another operating system after attaching the other drive again. Let me know what you guys think.

lol ya i know now too. problem is that a few of my older programs dont run with the backward compatibility function xp came with so now im stuck installing it after :(

ya, win98 uses the old DOS method of booting, winXP uses the NT method which is different and should work ok as long as its installed second........I think? Doesnt XP have a tiny little NT boot partition with some .ini files and stuff in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom