free up space on C drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milk

Solid State Member
Hey, I have a problem, my computer keeps tellign me i'm running very low on disk space, and that i need to free up a lot of space on my C drive ( i have some 542 MB left), I have gone into Add and Remove, and have deleted a lot of stuff ( some that I even still use, but thought i needed to delete it to free up space), but it still says i'm low. I want to install this game (americas army) but it wont let me because it says i have no disk space left. I'm doing disk clean up, but i don't think that will be enough. I have about 20 GB in music on my computer, but I don't know where all of the other 18 GB are coming from? There are also a lot of things in my Add Remove file that say like " Windows XP HotFix - KB72281220" or something like that, and have random numbers. What are they? Do I need them? Please help!

they are probably spyware but you really need more than 500meg free....like..at least 2gb....my page file is 1gb also try using disk cleaning wizard...go to My Computer...right click C: properties...then disk cleanup....somtimes that cleans a good bit

** Merge Posts **

do a search on your machine for *.tmp
Then clear cookies and offline files and folders.
Clear un-used local profiles.
Clear unused .exe's you may have saved.

the hotfixes are windows updates... if you get SP2 there is an option to hide those on the add/remove

clear all but your most current restore points.

Also if you have stuff u can burn onto CD's , you could free up room with thyat, snaps, music etc..
Here's a nice link on cleaning up to make more space.
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2007p162id97442.htm
Dont forget to run chkdsk and defragment after deleting all this stuff, to prevent the drive from getting fragmented and slowing things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom