Messed with Windows files, can't start computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate_dawg2k4

Beta member
Here's the deal: I was trying to get an old game (made in 93) to work the other day, but it wouldn't start because I was low on conventional memory. Well, several places on the internet told me to mess with my config.sys and autoexec.bat files in the windows folder to increase my conventional memory. So I backed up those two files and proceeded with deleting everything in them and replacing it with lines I got from some site (I can't remember the site... sorry >_< ). I then rebooted my computer

Here's what happened: the Compaq logo showed up (its a Compaq Armada 1750) and it asked for my start-up password. I typed it in, and, instead of first running the AVG boot-up scan, it showed the windows logo instead (I'm pretty sure the AVG thing came up first before) and then gave me the following error message:

The following file is missing or corrupted: HIMEM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 2

The following file is missing or corrupted: EMM386.EXE
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 3

The following file is missing or corrupted: CDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 4

File not found
File not found
Device driver not found: 'CDROM'.
No valid CDROM device drivers selected
Unable to find EMS memory

Press any key to continue...

Pressing any key reboots the PC (although I don't have to type in my password again).

Now, I had backed up my files, so I went and got my boot-up disk that came with the PC and, after looking up some DOS commands, I was able to copy the backup files over the ones I had altered (with the COPY command, not XCOPY). Now, I figured this would fix my problem, but instead I just got the same error. I know that I replaced my altered files with the backups (I checked the file sizes), so I don't know what the problem is. Shows how much I know... >_<

So... any ideas? I'm trying to find help on message boards right now 'cause I don't care much for tech support, but I think I might have to try them anyways. Ah... I feel so stupid -_-.

My Computer= Compaq Armada 1750, Pentium 2 Processor, Windows 98. The rest I'm not sure, 'cause I can't get past the error screen (and I don't know how to check it in DOS).

Ok, that seems obvious, and I was going to try that... but wouldn't that delete all my files? If not, I'm gonna kill my friend.

Ugh... I've "fixed" it twice, but I still get the error message except now it doesn't show the first 2 paragraphs (so I guess it fixed some of it). Help?

go back to dos and type:

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.old <enter>
ren config.sys config.old<enter>

restart system

This works on Dos loops, windows will recreate these files for you. If it doesn't work then something else is botched up and not the autoexec and config file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom