Help me pick a Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

souschef

Baseband Member
I need opinions on which motherboard to buy. I will be pairing it with an AMD 64 single or dual processor. Therefore, it looks like I will need something in the 939 family. I do not see myself using SLI but do want to use PCI-E x16 for my video card.

I currently use the following PCI cards:
TV card
Sound card
Phone modem
LAN card

From what I can tell, the 939s have LAN and sound built into them. That eliminates the need for two PCI cards. Do they have phone modem capability?

If I am correct in my assumptions, it looks like three PCI slots would be ok for me.

I do not understand what I would need PCI-E x4 or x1 for. What type of cards use these connections?

This will be for a gaming computer. I have never tried over clocking but it sounds like something I might try, after reading more about it here.

Thanks for any input.

That looks like a good pick, but what I don't understand is what do you use the PCI-E x1 and x4 for?

And with only two PCI slots what if I want to use a sound card, TV card, and phone modem. I think I might be able to configure my router as a dial up modem therefore using the LAN input to get online, but I'm not for sure on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom