How Hot Can A CPU Go????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
It been a really hot day in Australia today.

One of my customers has about 5 of my PCs on site. Most of the AMD Athlon or AMD Durons.

Problem.... the server's CPU (Athlon 2000) is currently sitting at 91c. And the customer is asking "Is this a safe temperature?"

:eek: I nearly choaked on the my ICE COFFEE that i was drinking at the time.

My account manager for Thermaltake shouted out "WHOAAAAaaaaaa!" when i told him the current temp on the CPU. :amazed:

Anyways, the customer is getting some Volcano 11's sent out on monday.

It was still running at 91 degrees? No smoke or anything? That really is impressive, I was under the impression that they pop at 80/85.

i was fixing to say my self holy ish, thats incredible and that they still were running, thats totally an unaccecptable temp. wowsers

LV38_Eagle said:
It was still running at 91 degrees? No smoke or anything? That really is impressive, I was under the impression that they pop at 80/85.

Yeah... it was still running.

IT was not happy, but it was still running.

The problem with the site is that all the computers tucked away in enclosed shelves where there is little air flow. But lots of dust.
And these computers are used constantly for 8 to 12 hours per day, 7 day per week.

I should of sold them an intel solution instead.
Let over heating problems.

mokelizer said:
i was fixing to say my self holy ish, thats incredible and that they still were running, thats totally an unaccecptable temp. wowsers

Trust me, I think we are all a little surpised there.

The Volcano 11 should make a difference.

Let us know what the temps are with the Volcano 11's, it would be interesting to see how much of a temp difference they make over the, I'd imagine, stock Hs/fan, in those kinds of conditions.

is he sure he didn't mean 90F? 90C sounds like the CPU should melt. did you tell your customer to not use it until it is fixed?

right, if it was 90C that would be 194 degrees farenheit. Should have blown way before then. But i cant remember the last time i have seen to many bios that displayed farenheit. Im thinking there may be something wrong with the thermistor software. i may would check for a bios update. no way they would function at that temp.

The chip won't pop until it breaches the 100C temp. This was test on Tomshardware I think.
One thing I know if that the AMD chips don't have a good heat protection system. Toms did a review and the chip actually melted down when the heatsink was pulled. Not only the chip, but part of the board as well.
http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/
interesting read...

Mortal Kombat II :- "TOASTY"

nvalhalla said:
Let us know what the temps are with the Volcano 11's, it would be interesting to see how much of a temp difference they make over the, I'd imagine, stock Hs/fan, in those kinds of conditions.

It's one of the earlier box I made for this custome. (This is before I realised that the AMD "Approved" Fan was a load of $#!+.

I think at this stage, I would of replaced all the CPU fan at that site now.
Plus one CPU as the fan failed and the person insisted on turning on the PC:rolleyes:

ekÆsine said:
is he sure he didn't mean 90F? 90C sounds like the CPU should melt. did you tell your customer to not use it until it is fixed?

Not, i did mean C, not F. :eek:

I did advise the customer to leave the computer alone until it gets fixed. Especially considering that we are going to be for a hot week end.
(Sil loves it when some one calls up at 4:50pm on friday afternoon, and they are expecting parts in a flash)

I did advise the customer that they might want to leave that PC alone until I get a heat sink to them.

Inaris said:
The chip won't pop until it breaches the 100C temp. This was test on Tomshardware I think.
One thing I know if that the AMD chips don't have a good heat protection system. Toms did a review and the chip actually melted down when the heatsink was pulled. Not only the chip, but part of the board as well.
http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/
interesting read...

Interesting read....
Another good read was I think was ATOMIC Magazine whey they tested that VEGEMITE as being one of best conductor for heat.
memorabilia_1980_6.jpg

Problem is that unlike Thermalpaste, Vegemite evaporate way too quickly.

Okay sports fans, the techo is going to be installing the Volcano 11 tomorrow. I will let you all know how cool the CPU go afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom