Suggestions? Sempron or Celeron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Ok. I wanna build a very simple PC, no gaming, just media stuff.

I want to be able to hook it up to my TV in my bedroom.
Capture TV programs to the hard drive. Watch them later, record them to DVD. Use it for picture slide shows from digital camera. Use it to watch DVD movies. Listen to music, surf the web, get email.
That's pretty much it. It must be a small form factor. The more inexpensive the better.

I also would like to have it connected to my main PC via wireless network. So operating system is important... XP Pro or Media Center?

For the CPU would I be better off going Sempron or Celeron?

What are your suggestions?

I'd go with Sempron, but that mainly my anti-Intel bias coming through.

Since both are basement chips, I'd still say Sampron.

Another Sempron here, with actual justification this time...assuming you're talking about a socket 754 sempron you're considering...the 754 sempron 64s are basically just watered down AMD64s with half the cache, they'll still benefit from the 800MHz socket 754 HTT bus and thus the memory bandwidth will obliterate the celeron

Not to mention the fact that most Semprons are simply relabeled K7 processors, with 754s having the advantage of the AMD64 bandwidth...Celerons on the other hand have actual degraded pipeline architecture compared to the pentium 4 therefore the performance difference between a pentium and celeron is MUCH more significant than between a Sempron and Athlon

If you're talking socket A here it'd be better off to simply get an XP-M paired with ABit NF7 motherboard...you should be able to get that up to 2.4GHz fairly easily with aftermarket cooling which will compete competetively with an AMD64 3200+ or greater IMO

Riceball said:
Yea i'd have to go with sempron because everybody around here takes AMD over Intel.

Only because your paying for the name when you buy an intel and not the quality of the product. Ive also had some problems with Intel (and ATI for that matter) :rolleyes:

I'd reccomend Intel for A server(bit more stable /less power hungry) or Web surfing.. Nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom