Help with fans/cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

davie23223

Baseband Member
This is the computer im going to built on the order right now:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ Socket 939
1024MB DDR400 PC3200 Memory (Kingston) (512MB x 2)
ASUS A8N5X Mother Board
Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA
ASUS 6600 GT GeForce PCI Express, 128MB DDR, DVI,TV-Out
Samsung 16X DVD RW +- Dual Layer (black)(special)
Onboard Audio
Onboard Network Card
500 Watt Colorsit Power Supply with 12cm Fan

Upgraded probably in 2-3 years when things get cheap:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Socket 939
2048MB DDR400 PC3200 Memory (Kingston) (512MB x 4)
ASUS A8N5X Mother Board
Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II
ASUS 6800 GT GeForce PCI Express, 256MB DDR,2 DVI,TV-Out
Samsung 16X DVD RW +- Dual Layer (black)(special)
Onboard Audio
Onboard Network Card
500 Watt Colorsit Power Supply with 12cm Fan

And ofcourse no case yet.
I was planning to buy a standard case and putting all the fans in

I was wondering if the first built one will need case fans because someone said that case fans are only for over clockers, so that's 3 fan total in the system? 1 from the Power supply, 1 from the cpu fan, and 1 from the video card. I'm not planning to overclock any time soon, do I need case fans in that built on the top or am I okay? If I need any fans in my case how, and where do i put them, and what kinds, exhaust, intakes etc...

Or would it be better just to buy a case with fans already built in?

case fans are really nesicarry if you're running anything higher than 1.4ghz as you need Airflow throughout your case or the hot air will just sit in it and build.. you need intake in the front of the case to push cool air in, and exhaust in the back to blow it out. (PSU isn't good enough alone except in some micro ATX cases where they are specially designed for this)

x2's run very hot as well you definately need the fans..

I don't know what whoever told you this was smoking but this maybe the case with with older celeron or <800mhz systems systems)

Side duct fans are overkill unless ovrclocking yeah.. (allthough helps to have that air on the GPU card)

also I would reccomend getting a PCI slot blower card 2 slots under your graphics card to keep it cool as possible(Those suckers get HOTTTTTTTTTTTT)

Okay, I did some research, please correct me if i'm wrong.

CPU fan blows into the heatsink/chip and also video card heatsink/chip.

The PSU counts as 1 exhaust.

Top and rear end of the case are exhaust fans.

Bottom front are intake fans.

the side case fans can be exhaust or intake fans.

My question is, Do you need equal exhaust/intake fans ie. 2 exhaust 2 intakes, or do you need more exhaust fans ie. 3 exhaust 1 intake, or more intakes ie. 3 intakes 1 exhaust.

Side duct fans are overkill unless ovrclocking yeah.. (allthough helps to have that air on the GPU card)

If there was a side case fan does the air blow towards the GPU card or does it suck the hot air out?

also I would reccomend getting a PCI slot blower card 2 slots under your graphics card to keep it cool as possible(Those suckers get HOTTTTTTTTTTTT)

I never knew their was a PCI slot blower card, would the fans on the PCI blower card blow air towards the graphics card, or blow out, and witch side of the video card should it blow in/out to?

the side ducts should blow towards the cpu/gpu and the exhaust suck that air back out.

as for the pci blower.. If you have good airflow on the graphics card you want it to be exhaust.. if you have poor air flow to it intake. (unless the computer is shoved into a corner or desk.. then you want it to be always exhaust or it will just suck warm air from the back back into the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom