I need help with XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vellamint

Baseband Member
3 months ago I attempted to set up a wireless network between my new DELL with XP and an older built machine with 98. The Dell handled the hardware and software fine but the older machine gave me hours of grief. In a moment of what I thought was inspiration I decided to reformat the old computer and install XP as it seemed to set itself up for wireless with little input from me.

It didnt work and I returned the wireless network (that is a different story).

Now I want to attempt this again and naturally since it is 3 months later my older computer wants me to activate XP. I have the key code but it wont work. I called Microsoft who informed me that XP is only for the machine it is licensed to and that since it is originally from Dell I should call them. I explained that the problem is not with the Dell machine and she wanted me to call tech support at microsoft for a fee.

What should I do.....I dont know why the computer would not accept the key.

Am I doing something wrong in the activation or can someone direct me somewhere that might have the answer....

If I reinstall XP will I have the 30 days all over again and maybe be able to activate it with the key code.

OR

Should I try and figure out how to get 98 back on it.

Right now the system is useless!!!

Thanks

You are running up against MicrosoftÂ’s Product activation and Licensing. The Issue is that you are installing a product that is designed and licensed for One Computer. You have it installed on 2. The Dell that shipped with XP is the only machine you can use that version of XP on.
Now, if you get a second copy of XP (from a store) you can install it and have it licensed without problem. You will not be able to activate the install you have right now as it is already licensed to the Dell.
Best bet would if you still have 98, reinstall that and leave XP alone... It's the cheapest option.

Can I

just reinstall 98!? I thought XP wipes out DOS or something and that can't be done. HELP

If you loaded NTFS as the filesystem when you reimaged the machine, then you will need to Fdisk the drive and then install win98 on it. Using Fdisk, delete the partitions and create a new one. That will clear out the NTFS stuff. Then you should be able to reinstall 98 from the CD. If it's SP2 then you should be able to boot from CD too, and then all is well...

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom