Which RAM, 3x512mb or 1x1gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

philmeup

Solid State Member
Building a system with:

-Asus K8V SE Deluxe VIA Socket 754 ATX Motherboard / AGP 8X / Audio / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+ / 1MB Cache / 1600MHz FSB / ClawHammer Core / Socket 754 / Processor

Wondering if it would be better to get 3x512mb of Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory (cause its cheap $37cdn each) or if I should go with a 1gb stick of something else? Any performance issues of having 3x512 vs 1x1gb or anything I should know before going through with this (this is my first build so bear with me).

Upgrading of the system is very unlikely and will be used for internet/music/word processing mainly with a bit of light gaming (looking at a 6600 vid card)

Thanks

Well 3x512 would be 1.5Ghz, and I'm pretty sure you can use duel channel with the 512mb's. So I'd say go with the
3x512 sticks.
Also, about the video card, seriously go for the 6600GT. I had a 6600 and returned it, simply because the 6600GT is about 20-40$ more and has benchmarks that are twice as good.
Remember that your motherboard is apg 8x, so you'll need to get an agp compliant video card.

edit: But, if you're hoping to upgrade to 4Gigs (which I doubt you will, but just in case) you wouldn't be able to with the 512mb's of ram.

Neither 3 x 512MB nor 1 x 1GB will run in Dual Channel.

And for God's sakes...its Dual Channel, not Duel Channel...

and I'm pretty sure
As I said, I wasn't sure.
And wow, a typo, it's the apocalypse! Why does everything start into a flame or put down in this forum? There will be someone new to computers that says he wants an intel, and all the amd fanboys will be like 'pREPARE TO GET FLAMMERED AND YOU ARE DUMB AND GET OFF THIS FORUM OK'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom