PC Checklist and Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you not read what I wrote? =/ All K8 processors are capable of processing both 32 and 64 bit instruction sets...K8 = Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, Opteron...therefore the 3800+ you've listed above will run both 32 and 64 bit applications and operating systems

You may want to look for the Opteron 165, performs roughly the same as the 3800+ but has larger L2 cache and should retail cheaper...of course they are hard come by at this point and time

The 3800+ is effectively two 3200+ chips on a single die so it will be fast so I will give it a thumbs up

PSU is fine

I didn't understand what K8 was I assumed the brand Athlon 64 only. I'm hearing the Opteron 165 was discontinued why was it?

Great that only leaves me with a Basic DVD+CD Burner and reader nothing too fancy and a Floppy drive that also has a slot for digitial cameria memory sticks.

They aren't discontinued, there was simply a huge demand for them and AMD simply can't keep up with the supply so they are sold out in most places...in addition, they had manufacturing problems with the 165s with further stifled supplies, but fab problems do not equal discontinuing, they're temporary and AMD are saying early december for regular supply I think

Yes, newegg is more reliable, but I wasn't sure about pricing, the sites I recommended are trusted sites, but nothing compares to newegg.
I only requested the optical drive because I had to keep it on a short budget. Of course you could add a different optical drive or replace the one I offered, but I was just giving a general daily-use drive.
Sorry about the links being dead, I tried to Link it because some people were having problems with the long addresses, but I guess it's a different issue.

edit: Yes they would work, but if you're worried at getting a mid-tower case, maybe a full tower case such as the thermaltake armor or something will suit you better.

if you still haven't bought the parts yet, i would reccomend a thermaltake shark case with ocz 520 watt modstream (much better power rating in the rails) and a Creative X-Fi if you like sound

you dont need a sound card, because your mobo has 5.1 ch sound integrated onto it.

how are you getting a free OS? did you already buy it or own it?

If i were you, instead of the Hard Drive you have already chosen, i would switch that to a Samsung Spinpoint 250gb.
I have one works brilliantly. Really great reviews aswell :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom