Memory Upgrade Dimension 8200

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwikslvr64

Beta member
Ok, I am new to this forum because I have found it helpful in the past and now I need some help. I bought a Dell Dimension 8200 about 3 years ago. It has a 533Mhz FSB and 512 RDRAM. What I do not know is if it has ECC or NON-ECC memory. I was told by Dell that it was shipped with NON-ECC, but I am not possitive about this. Is there a way to check (I have heard about counting the black chips on each, but I do not understand that fully).

I have found posts all over about this, but I just want to make sure of it. If anyone else has this computer (with a 533 FSB), can you please tell me what memory I need. I found someone on eBay who is selling "PC800 RDRAM 512MB (2x256) nonECC" The description is as follows:
"Used. A pair 256 MB RIMMS pulled from my working Dell Dimension 8200.
Manufactured by Samsung. The label reads as follows:
Samsung-Logo KOREA 0149 256MB/8MR16R1628AF0-CK8 800-45 011"

So what I want to know is whether or not this is compatible with my system? I have tried to do research on this, but I am spinning around in circles trying to find the exact information for the system from Dell (they are really a pain in the *** when it comes to this type of stuff).

This same person is also selling "PC800 RDRAM 512MB (2x256) ECC RIMM" which he described as the following:
"Used. A pair 256 MB RIMMS pulled from my working Dell Dimension 8200.
Manufactured by Samsung. The label reads as follows:
Samsung-Logo Korea 0313 H 256MB/8 ECCMR18R1628AF0-CM8 800-40 101"

Now obviously he pulled all of this out of the same system, so it seems like the ECC and NON-ECC work together, but I know it is not recommended. The only thing that worries me is that he pulled these from a 400MHz FSB, not a 533 like mine.

Can anyone tell me if one (or both) of these will work in my system? Should I just stick with the NON-ECC and hope for the best? Thanks,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom