.bin/.cue files -- what is a .cue file for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
Can anyone tell me what a .cue file is for? Most programs I've used open the .bin by itself just fine... surely this other .cue has a use?

thanks,
--X

use alcohol or nero to burn it to cd (burn as disc image in nero). it is a disc image. it kinda like an .iso file

Thanks for looking, bradybnmci...but that doesn't help me, much. EricB, it's not that I don't know what to do with them, I'm just curious why they're there. I hate having two files for one CD, which is why I stick to iso...but being that bin doesn't require the cue...hmm! ;)

Never really occurred to me it would be plain English, the file being something like this:
FILE "your_cd.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

Still unsure as to what this file does--besides the obvious--as I've copied every type of CD (audio, game, program) using just the .bin, and no problems. Hmm. The one reason I stick with .iso files. :)

Xula said:
Thanks for looking, bradybnmci...but that doesn't help me, much. EricB, it's not that I don't know what to do with them, I'm just curious why they're there. I hate having two files for one CD, which is why I stick to iso...but being that bin doesn't require the cue...hmm! ;)

Never really occurred to me it would be plain English, the file being something like this:

Still unsure as to what this file does--besides the obvious--as I've copied every type of CD (audio, game, program) using just the .bin, and no problems. Hmm. The one reason I stick with .iso files. :)

I was under the impression that it needs the file to work. I know that you can use notepad to make a new bin file in you don't have one

imagine the .cue file as the pointer for the .bin file. Contains a little info to initialize the CD image burning process. Thats all it is, and is needed to get the image. You will have both .cue and .bin, however when you burn the bin image (stands for binary) it will burn the image itself (whatever the .bin file contains).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom