a ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpy

Baseband Member
Hey guys i think im in the right here, but my friend has an Iwill kk-400 mother board that is a 333 fsb 184 pin. well i just upgraded my ram and my graphics card I bought 3 gigs of 400 fsb 184 pin, and a Radeon X850 Agp (not pci express). well i want to put in my old ram and put in a stick of 256 of his old ram into his computer so he will have a gig & 1/4 ram. should i do this or just put in a gig (if its possible).

P.S. im not shure if kingston is suported by I will, i have sent them an E-mail asking but i will probilly not get a response.

thanks,
stumpy

uh... punctuation is kinda tough to read through, but I think you're asking if the 1280mb will work. Yeah, they should work in your friend's computer... I think. There's no reason not to have both the 256 and the gigabyte stick in there.

Ryan

sorry about the bad punctuation. but what i ment is with a 333 FSB MOBO can you put 2 400 FSB sticks of ram in along with a 333 FSB stick of ram (a total of 3 sticks).

Yes you most certainly can, the 400FSB sticks will down-clock to 333FSB.

Edit: you still need to make sure the motherboards supports those brands and the total capacity of memory you're putting in.

If his motherboard supports duel channel, then you will wont to leave his ram at 1GB (2x512)... because if you dont add 2 equal sized ram sticks at a time, dual channel will be disabled... and that would be worse....

however it does not matter if his motherboard doesnt run Dual channel.

256 more then 1GB realy doesnt matter anyway... it wont show any improvement.

Actually not useing dual channel isnt a big deal.

Ive read that dual channel only offers a 5%-10% incrrease in performance.

I whent from useing dual channel to filling up all four DIMM slots for 1.5gigs, and I havent noticed a drop or anything while playing games.

Id prefer more memory over dual channel.

ThatÂ’s what I thought! Just wanted to make sure because its not my computer. Do you guys know any compatibility websites out there that would have that kind of info?

Otis, you are still running in dual channel buddy... unless your motherboard is screwy and doesn't support 4 sticks in dual channel. I know mine does.

Ryan

stumpy said:
ThatÂ’s what I thought! Just wanted to make sure because its not my computer. Do you guys know any compatibility websites out there that would have that kind of info?

Probably best to check the website for the brand of the motherboard, they usually give tips on compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom