need 2GB ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
Ive just started playing F.E.A.R and im planning on upgrading my graphics card for it. But im using 1Gig of pc3200 (2 512sticks) would it be worth my while to buy a 1gig stick (my xp120 cooler overhangs 1 slot so i cant use it :( ) if i buy the same memory but in the 1gig version i know i will loose the use of dual channel but would it hamper my overclock very much? Its a trade off and i dont know which to go.

thanks for any opinions

tough decision! Another gig stick of memory would definately improve performance even if you're sacrificing dual channel. Ideally, you would get 2x1gb to keep dual channel and still retain 2 gigs of memory. Your overclock should be uneffected if you buy the right kind of memory.

Ryan

It will have to run in 2t as well. The overclock would be affected as well. And someone else will have to check, but your ram will be downclocked to 333mhz.

FEAR is meant to be ram hungry. I will at some time see how hungry it is for memory.

AuThoRitY said:
FEAR runs great on mine with just a gig, so, wait, you cant run 4x512 Dual channel only 2x512? im confused....

Up until recently boards couldn't handle 4x512 at DDR400 (200mhz native). Im pretty sure this has changed, and you MAY have a recent enough board to take it with a BOIS update. Refer to your motherboard's website for details on four ram slots and configurations. I no the NF3 boards only do DDR 333 and i know the nf4 did only do 333 but it may have changed....

Either way, its probably better to go 2x1gig

Here is what FEAR took up on high settings:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Trifid/memoryfear.jpg

It used at maximum 1242mbs of ram.

With winchester 4 sticks of ram have to be run at 333mhz. You can have 4 sticks of ram in dual channel as well.

Some of the socket A boards can have 3 sticks of ram in dual channel (the ones with 3 DIMM slots) so you have 2x 512 working with the 1gb stick. I don't think this would work though. You could try it though.

Trifid said:
Here is what FEAR took up on high settings:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Trifid/memoryfear.jpg

It used at maximum 1242mbs of ram.

With winchester 4 sticks of ram have to be run at 333mhz. You can have 4 sticks of ram in dual channel as well.

Some of the socket A boards can have 3 sticks of ram in dual channel (the ones with 3 DIMM slots) so you have 2x 512 working with the 1gb stick. I don't think this would work though. You could try it though.

Yes that is because your hardware isnt new revisions.

Also, it would not work in dual channel, seeing as how for dual channel the sticks have to be same size and speed, obveously 512's and a gig wouldn't work very good, even if they could emulate the two 512s to work as one against the one 1gig stick.

I would also look at upgrading your video card. FEAR runs silky smooth for me with only 1GB of RAM. I don't see 2GB as really necissary yet, while it can help.

Roger dodger, didn't mean to come off bad.

Sorry nubius, I know you know everything about everything and are the god of all, sorry for the contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom