ATI, finally got NVIDIA on the Ropes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new 7800 GTX 512 is just a pumped up old card. I want new technologies and quality. I know the new 7800 got new RAM modules but that's nothing that i consider worth while. I'm going with ATI this round.
Your mistaken. 24pipes=new technology whereas my 6800GT has 16 pipes which=old technology which= X1800XT. The X1800XT is a pumped up old card w/ faster speeds. Ive been looking at Xbit labs and they seem alright and unbiased. Im looking into it further.

003 said:
If you want to talk about cutting corners, then let's have a talk about Nvidia's anisotropic filtering. They cut some major corners on it, if you leave image quality at the default setting of "quality" in the nvidia drivers, you will notice a lot of texture shimmering with AF, and when you set image quality to higjh quality, the shimmering goes away, but at the cost of 10-30 fps depending on what game you are playing and what you are looking at.
yes, but people already know this. it is cutting corners, but that was in the Geforce 4 era
current cards are different.

003 said:
this is the second time you have ignored my post:

if you are in a small room where you would only need 2x AA to antialias the whole scene, then that is actually a very good idea because it would boost preformance without any loss in image quality
errr. 2X AA does = a loss of image quality over 8X AA
but anyway, here was the point:
Adaptive AA does not make the card faster, it makes the card do less
it doesn't matter how you look at it. reducing image quality to get better performance is cutting corners.
end of story
bye bye
see you later....

003 said:
i think he means that it just a pumped up version of the 256mb 7800gtx

That's it. I don't want a pumped up 7800 i want something "new" and all the benchmarks i see include Doom and quake 4 which ATI is usually BAD at. not sure where apokolyspe gets that info. that adaptive AA thing is an OPTION, wait... yeah an OPTION... something you can decide to have on or off. what's the big deal? I'm going to get the x1800xt and i don't even want the adaptive AA on.

BColes said:
That's it. I don't want a pumped up 7800 i want something "new" and all the benchmarks i see include Doom and quake 4 which ATI is usually BAD at. not sure where apokolyspe gets that info. that adaptive AA thing is an OPTION, wait... yeah an OPTION... something you can decide to have on or off. what's the big deal? I'm going to get the x1800xt and i don't even want the adaptive AA on.
oh jeez...
I simply said that it does not matter how you look at it, it is cutting corners.
yes, "cutting corners"
I did not say "it is not optional"

don't put words in my mouth.

I don't consider it a big deal, but you continued to argue. which is why I said:
end of story
bye bye
see you later....

anyway, on to something else:
I like both cards. but it's a fact that the 512MB 7800 GTX is better.

Will there be revisions for the GT 7800's and will they be released under the 512Mb version though? The 512MB GTX will be a buttkicker of a card but give ATi about six or so month's and they will release a XT PE version of the x1800 which i think may have the performance down on the GTX (to a certain extent) Also has nvidia put the final touches on Pixel Shader 3 with the 7800GTX and will we the next batch of cards being PS4?

and what versions of the 7600's be released just the standard and GT, because if the 7600GT are anything as popular as the 6600GT, ATi better rethink the entire middle range market because the 600's and 700's just don't seem to be the power brokers they were in the 9*** series of cards.

The adaptive AA seems to be a way of corner cutting to a certain extent, but the thing is that ATi video cards have always performed generally better with the eye candy turned up to full blast anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom