new system parts list - some help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenNcheese

In Runtime
am looking to get a new system. some parts are migrating from the old computer so i dont need anything not mentioned on this list

Mother Board:
ASUS A8N-VM
do i really need the sli version? in terms of gfx performance is SLI worth spending the money on the other card as well + paying extra for the motherboard?

CPU:
Athlon 64 or Semperon or Athlon 64x2 (dual core)
as far as i know not many things are designed to use the 64 bit system. is it worth it - as in will it run everything just as well as the 32 but be an investment for later. also will games run on it better than 32? and if i do get the 64 should i get dual core - is it worth it?

RAM:
2/3x512 DDR400

HDD:
2x250GB Western Digital 8MB
sata or ide?

Graphics:
GeForce 7800 PCI-E
is there a 512mb one or just 256?

Power Supply:
i have no idea what wattage etc. need help here

also is water cooling worth the money?

water cooling is worth the money if you plan on OC'ing

get the 256mb 7800GTX

600Watt PSU or even a 550Watt

if you can afford it get the 4800+ Dual Core

SLi board i would get...incase you want to put another 7800GTX in there in the future

HDD i like IDE but thats just me....

the ram...maybe get 2x1gb sticks...or 4x512mb

Unless you are DEFINITELY plannung SLI i wouldnt go anywhere above 450W, I've read somewhere (I cant remember) that if you have a 600W PSU & only use 350W that it is EXTREMELY inefficient, will cost more to run & generates LOADS more heat.

I would not go with SLI, its just a waste of money. One card can handle all the games out ATM.

I would go with SATA HDs, they are alot neater in the case (if u know what i mean?) OH yeah, and get some HDs with NCQ.

A dual core CPU may not be worth it right now, but over the next year we will see games released with support for Dual Core CPUs, boosting performance by %30+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom