wrong memory in PC? (mac ram in PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljones

Solid State Member
I got some ram off ebay. It was a stick of 128mb 168pin DIMM SDRAM and I put it in a HP pavilion 6545C. Turns out the stick was made by newerRam (a mac ram manufacturer). The ram worked for 1 month on the PC without any problems. I ended up replacing the ram stick with 2 other micron sticks. This is where my problem is though. I didn't realize it was a mac ram stick until after I took it back out.

I gave the ram stick to a friend to upgrade his compaq presario 5200 series (not sure of the exact model, its 400mhz processor). Since it was put in, the boot time of his computer is about 5 minutes and he always gets kicked off from his AOL dial up every couple of minutes as well. I believe it is the ram that I gave him....

I am not sure exactly why mac ram would work in my HP pavilion but not in his compaq presario. Is newerRam (mac ram) compatible with PC's?

The problem with HP and Compaq is that they have this nasty habbit of only using a prapriatory ram module. Especially in their old machines. They normally change some thing in the voltage just so you can not install standard rams modules in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom