Harddrive dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static_11

Fully Optimized
So last night I was on my computer and I heard a click noise coming from the hdd. A few minutes later I got a message saying

"New Hardware Found: F J T U M G 2 4 H"

The computer got VERY buggy and was doing like practically nothing. I hit control alt delete and my cpu usage was at a constant 2%. I shut the computer off then turned it back on and the windows loading screen doesnt come up. Just a blinking line.

I eventually got it to show the loading screen for about 1.5 seconds then a blue screen came up and said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DATA also stating that i somehow installed a peice of hardware wrong.

I tried safe mode, same thing.
I tried Last Known Good Configuration, same thing.

I think i fried my harddrive.. >_<
If i did, is there any way to recover data because i had abotu 3 gigs of music and i have dial up >_<

Freeze the hard drive and recover

However you also need a second drive to do this

Was this your seagate drive that did this?

yeah it was my seagate :(

freeze the hdd and recover??

i have a 20 gig slave so i do have another but it doesnt have an os on it

freezing does not work all the time , use as a last ditch
I have recovered data using freezing

you will need a program like ghost to clone your FREEZER POP HD
to a new HD, IT is also a good idea to freeze the HD in a tighly sealed bag. Before freezing go through a drill a few times just like you were running from the freezer and hooking up the HD and cloaning, preset any jumpers. I found it easiest to use the secondary controller. Once the HD starts to thaw and moisture starts forming the HD STARTS TO SLIP BACK. You have minutes, once it has been done it usually can not be repeated. What does the hd do now is it clicking ? does the bios pick it up ?

yeah it makes clicky noises >_<

oh well, im just gunna go blow a grand on a new system anyway so i would still like to get the data back >_<

anyone give me a step by step explanation on how to freeze it?

That has the click of death, freezing is just waisting your time, the only way you can get data off of it now is to send it to someplace like Ontrack .

http://www.ontrack.com/

frezing only seems to work if there are no unusuall noises and the drive is having trouble reading or no reading at all, the click of death is a severe head positioner / logic , that freezing will not fix.

:(

does it cost to have the data recovered.. i REALLY dont want to spend the first month of my new computers life downloading 3 gigs of music and a gig of live/music videos >_<

You need to contact ONTRACK. I know we reffer customers there and I think it is like a 3 digit price tag. I think they take the whole HD appart in a cleanroom and possibly install your HD platter in a machine to recover the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom