DDR or DDR2? or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambico

Baseband Member
after reading up on several sites, i finally made the big decision to purchase a 7800 GTX OC, now i need to upgrade my motherboard, well i noticed some support DDR and DDR2 dual channeled, can these 2 be DC simultanious with 2 different types of ram? if not is it worth my while (i want to play planetside on max @1280) to buy the DDR2?

well AMD right now dosnt support DDR2 so you will have to have an intel based system and some mobos support DDR2 and DDR and others just DDR2 or DDR

if you want to play on max, try to buy 2GB of ram or at least 1GB, there is no real difference between DDR and DDR is the memory bandwith

I know DDR 2 is only an intel thing right now. And i don't think any motherboards right now can support both DDR and DDR 2 in the same motherboard at the same time (or does it just clock it back like usual to the lower running speed?)

Stick with AMD for the games and also the cost Dual Channel DDR has dropped where the price DDR2 is still fluctuating around, and DDR 2 Has got that much of a performance jump on DDR just yet. Just make you load up on the amount you buy as 1 Gb is the recommended for games like FEAR, BF2, Q4 and many others so stick with the 1 GB or more.

well i have an intel based system because i play around with a lot of applications such as photoshop or Maya and autodesk inventor...so i prefer intel's hyper threading so would a new mobo and 2 gb of ram be overloading or not?

2 gb of ram is 'optimum' nowadays. It's the new big thing in the past 6 months or so with new games coming out demanding lots of quick memory.

Ryan

Yea well if you already have an Intel board with a good processor, there's no need to start over. You can just get DDR2, and when socket M2 comes out, hopefully this summer, it will support DDR2. BTW socket M2 is the next generation of AMD processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom