9800 xt cooling soulution?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
I was thinking about taking the fan off, and putting some artic 5 on the die, i read in a review somewhere that the contact between the actually heastink and the chip wasn't all the great, tiny spots weren't even in contact, but my thought would be to put artic silver 5 on there, along with even taking the back heat disipitation panel off and maybe putting artic silver on the ram chips? would that be smart.. eh, we'll see, any thoughts would be nice, danka!

Unless theres an actual issue with cooling I would advise against it. If you do, make sure you KNOW what kind of compound is on there now and how to weaken it to get the heatsink off. Usually it can be cooled to aid separation, however I have heard of GPU chips snapping when attempting to remove heatsinks and Im sure I dont need to tell you, thats $450 down the toilet.

So like I said, dont even consider it unless theres a problem.

well i don't think that's an issue, there's tension springs on it, allowing for easy removal, which i have see done many times through-out websites, only one website actually went as far as telling us about the contact problem.

Well, seems to me like yove got your mind all made up already. Personally I wouldnt do it unless I had an issue in the first place, especially just cos I came across the info on one site.

Got a link to that site by any chance?

geesh, i have to prove things now?

lockercafe.com/Reviews/VGA/VisionTek_Radeon_9800XT/pg_3.htm

go there... my card says it's running at 62-66C, obviously that's not good, so there must be a problem

I removed my vid card's HS, cleaned it off, lapped it a bit to make it smoother and reapplied decent thermal goop. I have also added copper ramsinks (both sides) with AS thermal adhesive. Don't know how much the ramsinks help, but i just wanted them to make the card look purdy. :)

well the 9800xt has that heatsink panel or whatever it's called on the back.. dunno how much good it does, could actually keep heat in..

i took it off and yea, it's not seated flat, so they just plaster the die with gook, anyways, took it all off and applied just enough to give it a good contact, running slightly cooler now, @ 63C right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom