Invalid Ms-Dos Version // Win 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggieuk

Beta member
Hey all,

I have a mates old laptop computer which i have been told has Win95 installed.

When the computer is turned on i received an error message asking me to "Enter the name of Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)".

I made a Win95 bootdisk from bootdisk.com and put it into the drive. I have now managed to get the computer reading from the A:\ drive and the C:\ drive (get a bit list after typing "DIR").

After searching for a possible solution i have tried copying the system files onto the C:\ drive using "SYS a: c:" but receive an error message saying "Invalid Ms-Dos Version".
I have also tried renaming the SETVER.EXE file ( ren setver.exe setver.old) but receive a message saying "File Not Found".

I have no idea what to do next.

Id greatly appreciate any help with this, thanks!

I have now managed to get windows to load up by typing:

"cd windows" and then "win".

The system will still not load up by itself though. I have also noticed in the "Device manager" the Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) and Seconary both have yellow warning signs next to them.

:confused:

type in:

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.123

and

ren config.sys config.123

and restart... see if it will recreate it (this is usually good for a dos loop, but not sure here). That or just check the system.ini and look at the shell= at the top, should be shell=explorer.exe

also, if the above doesn't work, just rename the files back to the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom