Win 2k - HOw to disable a device in Device Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
Hello all,

How can I disable a device in Device Manager in Windows 2000?

My cousin's kids have an HP computer (Celeron 700Mhz) that they do their homework on. To boost it's performance I recently put in an old Voodoo3 3000 video card that I had hanging around (thier video was on-board with a *whopping* 1MB alotted shared memory). The install went OK, but Win2K keeps detecting and reinstalling the on-board video card.

Unfortunately, there is no option to disable the video card in the BIOS (**** HP!). A friend of mine's computer had the exact same issue and we disbaled the on-board video using the Device Manager (Windows XP) by doing Right-click --> Disable

Now I have the same thing on my cousin's computer, but Windows 2000 doesn't give me the option to Disable, only an option to Uninstall. Obviously, after I uninstalled it, it re-installed itself on the next boot-up.

So far the two video cards have coexisted without any conflicts, but I'd like to elimiate the possibility of a future conflict.

Without option to disable through the BIOS, how can I disable the on-board video in Windows 2000? Thanks!

Viken K.

You cant do the same in windows 2000? you cant disable it i the device manager? you cant do it in the taskmanager.

When I right click on the video card in Device Manager, I only have an option to uninstall, not to disable.

Hmmmmm...I didn't think about that! I'll have to try that next time I go over their house.

Viken K.

Okay,

I called up my cousin and talked her through removing the on-board video controller through the Add/Remove Hardware wizard. She's computer saavy enough to follow my directions. The end result? It still came back on the next boot up.

Then, later, I had gone to their house and was checking it out when I noticed that although I had no option to disable the video card in Device Manager under "Diaplay Adapters", I *did* have the option to disable the card under "System Devices". By right clicking the "Intel XXXXX System and Video Controller", I was able to choose Disable, BUT.....the card still shows up on the next boot-up, even though the controller (in control panel) has the small red X on it to show that it's disabled.

As I'm typing this, an idea comes to mind. My cousin enters a password when Windows boots up. I know that someone else setup their computer for them. Could it be that she doesn't have Administrator priveliges on her account?

Viken K.

It has to be in the DM... It might be called something other than "Onboard Video"... but its gotta be there.

Can you post a SS of your DM/System Devices ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom